Demos and outtakes pitch corrected  
DL-List
Downloading: [ 1 ]
Complete: [ 116 ]
savbomb
Post 2013-07-17 20:17 [Quote] 
Sorry to be practically spamming at the moment. I'll lay off for a bit after this, but I think it's a pretty important one that you really, really need. Even if you think you can live without it, you are just plain wrong.

I checked the speed of the Analog Loyalist version of the demos bootleg, using the official versions of RATF (Tate), QID and THTRTC. In each case, it was out by one percent or thereabouts. Which is a fair amount. So I have adjusted the speed of all the tracks.

The difference in how good the tracks sound is really noticeable. Only downside, if you're pressed for time, is they will take longer to listen to.

I haven't done any additional EQ or cleaning, just the speed adjustments. I'll post below with nerdy details about how the corrections have been worked out and what I discovered about the recordings.

1 - Reel Around The Fountain
Produced by Troy Tate at Elephant Studios, London, Summer 1983 (from aborted debut album sessions).

2 - The Hand That Rocks The Cradle
Produced by John Porter at Matrix Studios, London, September 1983 (monitor mix from debut album sessions).

3 - This Night Has Opened My Eyes
4 - Rusholme Ruffians
Produced by John Porter and engineered by Mark Wallis at Jam Studios, London, July 1984 (William, It Was Really Nothing sessions). Originally intended as b-sides, but never used.

5 - I Misses You
Produced by The Smiths and engineered by Stephen Street at The Fallout Shelter, London, December 1984 (final Meat Is Murder sessions).

6 - There Is A Light That Never Goes Out
7 - Frankly, Mr Shankly
Produced by Morrissey and Marr, engineered by Stephen Street at RAK Studios, London, August/September 1985 (The Boy With The Thorn In His Side sessions).
Trumpet by an anonymous session musician.

8 - The Queen Is Dead
Produced by Morrissey and Marr, engineered by Stephen Street at Jacobs Studios, Farnham, autumn 1985 (main Queen Is Dead sessions). Extended/unedited mix of the official version.

9 - Ask
10 - Is It Really So Strange?
Produced by John Porter at Jam Studios, London, June 1986 (Ask sessions).

11 - Shoplifters Of The World Unite
Produced by Johnny Marr and engineered by Alan Moulder at Trident Studios, London, December 1986 (Shoplifters Of The World Unite sessions). Instrumental.

12 - Sheila Take A Bow
Produced by John Porter at Solid Bond Studios, London, December 1986.
This first attempt at the song was rejected by the band. Sandie Shaw sang backing vocals but cannot be heard on this mix.

13 - Girlfriend In A Coma
Produced by Johnny Marr, Stephen Street and Morrissey at Good Earth Studios, London, January 1987 (Sheila Take A Bow second version sessions).

14 - Heavy Track
15 - Paint A Vulgar Picture
16 - Death Of A Disco Dancer
Produced by Johnny Marr, Stephen Street and Morrissey (although Morrissey was apparently not present for the recording of 14), engineered by Steve Williams at Wool Hall Studios, Somerset, spring 1987 (Strangeways Here We Come sessions).

Last edited by savbomb on 2013-07-18 11:26; edited 3 times in total
 [Profile]  [PM] 
savbomb
Post 2013-07-17 23:02 [Quote] 
There may be a problem of some kind. I'm not uploading anything and I appear twice in the seeders list for some reason. Apologies. I'll create a new torrent if it carries on.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
DavidA
Site Admin
uk.gif
Post 2013-07-18 11:17 [Quote] 
savbomb wrote:
Only downside, if you're pressed for time, is they will take longer to listen to.

Ha!

I'm not able to download this. The .torrent file doesn't seem attached.

I remember Drew saying that this was a better vinyl rip, although it doesn't have the remastering that he did.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
savbomb
Post 2013-07-18 11:29 [Quote] 
OK, a new torrent is up. Fingers crossed.

DavidA wrote:
I remember Drew saying that this was a better vinyl rip, although it doesn't have the remastering that he did.

I had a listen to that and a couple of other versions. In terms of sound quality I don't think I could put a cigarette paper between that rip and the Analog Loyalist version, except Drew removed the snap, crackle and pop.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
savbomb
Post 2013-07-18 12:27 [Quote] 
So here's some notes on what I did. Because it's from vinyl, it's not really possible to be accurate down to the last sample with speed corrections, but I got as close as I could.

1 - Reel Around The Fountain
Matched to the version now available on Amazon.

2 - The Hand That Rocks The Cradle
Matched to the debut album version (which is a different mix of the same recording).

3 - This Night Has Opened My Eyes
4 - Rusholme Ruffians
5 - I Misses You
No guide for these, so I have slowed them down to what sounds right to my ears.

6 - There Is A Light That Never Goes Out
Matched to the QID version. It turns out this is a monitor mix. The rhythm guitar and maybe some other bits are the same. I reckon this is the version mentioned by Simon Goddard as having been done at RAK studios prior to the main sessions for QID. It would have been mixed down because time was up, even though only one guitar part had been put down. Then the multitrack would have been used as a starting-point for the main sessions.

7 - Frankly, Mr Shankly
No guide, so I've used my ears again.

8 - The Queen Is Dead
Matched to the official version.

9 - Ask
Matched to the official version. It seems to have the same main vocal track, with some overdubbing, but everything else is different. I also wouldn't be surprised if the official version has been speeded up slightly, which would make this speed-correction wrong. But who knows. A tricky one because, even though the vocal is definitely the same, when I overlaid the two versions, some of the guitars were discordant. Not sure how that happened, but there has obviously been a lot a mixing. Also, I never noticed before, but I think Steve Lillywhite replaced Andy Rourke with a synthesizer.

10 - Is It Really So Strange?
Craig Gannon has claimed that his guitar part from this is on the Peel session version. I'm not sure whether that is true or not, but the two versions do fit together perfectly, so someone must have gone into Maida Vale with the recording that had already been done under their jacket. I've matched this to the recent 6 Music broadcast rather than the Louder Than Bombs version, just based on a hunch.

11 - Shoplifters Of The World Unite
This seems like it is probably a monitor mix, but I'm not sure. Some of the guitar sounds the same, but the tempo varies a lot (though by a small amount) compared to the official version. I have a theory, though, that the extra bit of guitar that comes every four bars (missing from this version) was spliced in rather than overdubbed, which would explain things. I've matched it as best as I could to the official version.

12 - Sheila Take A Bow
13 - Girlfriend In A Coma
14 - Heavy Track
No guide, so ears again.

15 - Paint A Vulgar Picture
I think this is an earlier take, perhaps using some of the percussion from the final version but nothing else, because it is in a different key. It feels right, though, matched to the final version,
so that's what I did.

16 - Death Of A Disco Dancer
This fits perfectly with the official version, even though it is very different. It could either be an alternative take using the same click-track or maybe the final version evolved from this over the course of a lot of re-recording. So this is also matched to the official version.

Last edited by savbomb on 2013-07-18 15:28; edited 1 time in total
 [Profile]  [PM] 
the Flea
uk.gif
Post 2013-07-18 13:59 [Quote] 
Your work is very much appreciated SavBomb, cheers Wink
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
ScottyMoz
uk.gif
Post 2013-07-18 14:08 [Quote] 
Cheers and well done for your efforts. I shall enjoy listening to this mate!
 [Profile]  [PM] 
DavidA
Site Admin
uk.gif
Post 2013-07-18 18:50 [Quote] 
Great analysis. Thank you. Where did you find out the info? Goddard? It's been a while since I read it.

You probably read it already, but Stephane discussed them here. It would be great if the remaining 16 Queen Is Dead outtakes leaked. Anyone?
 [Profile]  [PM] 
monsterH
usa.gif
Post 2013-07-19 07:42 [Quote] 
Many thanks - appreciate the effort!

SweetFA
uk.gif
Post 2013-07-20 12:13 [Quote] 
Thanks
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Fruit Bomb
Post 2013-07-20 13:40 [Quote] 
Many thanks. I listen and enjoy.

ScottyMoz
uk.gif
Post 2013-07-22 11:27 [Quote] 
Wow, great versions of those songs, very enjoyable. Cheers
 [Profile]  [PM] 
stew77
australia.gif
Post 2013-07-23 02:41 [Quote] 
Thank you!!
 [Profile]  [PM] 
New topic title
Forum for new topic

Page 1 of 1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    smithstorrents.co.uk Forum Index -> Audio All times are GMT

Jump to: