Anyone use a mac for video editing?

Reply to topic

steve ®

Longevity: 11 years

Post 20-Feb-2007 15:04

[Quote]

I currently use Sony Vegas on a PC to edit and render my videos. Vegas has brilliant audio intergration, making it easy to dub on new audio, and adjust the speed to sync it up.
Recently I've been thinking of changing to mac. So I'd be interested to hear people's experiences of using Final Cut to edit audio for video
[Profile] [PM]

ownZero

Post 20-Feb-2007 21:34 (after 6 hours)

[Quote]

I use a mac but have not used Final Cut. I mainly use quicktime pro, mpeg streamclip, sound studio and the iLife programs iMovie and iDVD. Also Toast. I can do just about anything with those programs for a decent DVD.
[Profile] [PM]

bclark93

Post 21-Feb-2007 00:37 (after 3 hours)

[Quote]

Steve you may want to look at Sonic Studios. Its more powerful than Sound Forge from what
I've learned. Check this out http://www.sonicstudio.com/
Hope this helps :)
Cheers!
[Profile] [PM]

steve ®

Post 21-Feb-2007 08:05 (after 7 hours)

[Quote]

sonic studio looks interesting ... how does it compare to logic?
ownZero ... what do you use for resyncing audio? If you're dubbing on new audio from old analog sources. more often than not the 2 are at different speeds. The audio integration in Sony Vegas is brilliant. You just drop the new audio track in, and stretch the length with your mouse which changes the speed. As its all visual, its very easy to match the audio to the orginal video sound.
From what I've found out so far, there isn't such good integration of audio and video in mac programs. You do audio in one and video in another.
[Profile] [PM]

ownZero

Post 21-Feb-2007 17:13 (after 9 hours)

[Quote]

ownZero ... what do you use for resyncing audio? If you're dubbing on new audio from old analog sources. more often than not the 2 are at different speeds. The audio integration in Sony Vegas is brilliant. You just drop the new audio track in, and stretch the length with your mouse which changes the speed. As its all visual, its very easy to match the audio to the orginal video sound.
From what I've found out so far, there isn't such good integration of audio and video in mac programs. You do audio in one and video in another.
What you are describing is one area where Final Cut is likely better than the iLife programs. I would imagine it offers more control with this process. I currently have the option of using Quicktime Pro to synch an audio track to a video track that is of a different time length. I can also bring in a second audio track into iMovie and move it forward or backward to match the video but it is limited in that it is an all or nothing process as to timing adjustments. Since I haven't used Final Cut I can't say how it handles this task but would think it should do it better and in the usual apple ease-of-use manner. You may want to try reading the final cut pages on the apple web site as it may explain how it handles these functions (if you haven't already done so.) There may be some final cut forums on the net where folks with more knowledge could give a more educated opinion. The Sony software could indeed be superior.
As for the mac itself and the OS it is a joy to use.
[Profile] [PM]

DavidA

Post 21-Feb-2007 21:45 (after 4 hours)

[Quote]

Tsk! Typical Mac boys ;)
[Profile] [PM]

ownZero

Post 22-Feb-2007 01:19 (after 3 hours)

[Quote]

Tsk! Typical Mac boys ;)
:oops:
[Profile] [PM]

steve ®

Post 22-Feb-2007 08:50 (after 7 hours)

[Quote]

Thanks for th info. I have been asking on some mac boards ... and yes you can do something similar in Final Cut Express ... but to get the best quality you have to export the audio into another app (that comes with FCE) change the speed there, then export it back. Which is a bit disappointing, as one of the supposed pluses of using a mac is that the apps integrate together and are easy to use.
Anyway ... apparently these apps are 2 years old now, and are due for a major overhaul this year. Leopard/iLife in April and FC + Logic in June is likely. So maybe things will change. Otherwise it seems I will be better getting a new PC.
[Profile] [PM]

bclark93

Post 22-Feb-2007 14:59 (after 6 hours)

[Quote]

Steve,
Is there any particular reason you wanting to switch from PC to MAC?
You can still use Sound Forge and Vegas (as many other windows apps) under Mac OS using
VMWare.
I myself have been running Linux for several months and use VMware to use many of my windows programs. The main reasons I switched was security and the open source community. There are thousands of free programs available which makes life a lot easier than to be strapped to the ankles.
If you are to go the new PC route, try to stay clear of the new Vista. I've heard nothing but problems with it, and concidering you may be using this for music/video mastering, the DRM it implements will cause you nothing but headaches.
[Profile] [PM]

steve ®

Post 23-Feb-2007 11:33 (after 20 hours)

[Quote]

basically I'm fed up having to sort things out on a PC. I'm fairly neutral on the PC vs Mac Jihad thing ... there's zealots on both sides that talk non-sense.
I've always seen PCs as the more flexible option, but you need to know what you're looking for, and be careful what you put in/on it. If you do that you have a nice stable pc.
Macs are less flexible, but you don't need to worry about compatibility etc. Less choice, but it all works.
Mac used to be more expensive like for like, but with the new line I'd say they were about even now.
I work with computers, so I've got a pretty good idea how to set PCs up. But they do need to be set up and optimised if you want to do audio/video. My current pc is getting a bit past it, and I just can't be bothered to go through all that fiddling.
I know what I want to do, and if I can do it on a mac, then that's the easier option. I've talked to quite a few people who have switched, and one thing that they all say is that they get more done because they can concentrate on the program they're using, rather than being distracted by problems with the machine/operating system.
I know I can use windows programs using bootcamp (although you would have to buy another copy of Windows - I'm not going anywhere near Vista for quite a while), but if I do switch, I'd rather go the whole hog and learn to do everything mac-style. I'll still have the old pc if there's something I desperately need to do, and can't on the mac.
Anyway ... looks like its worth waiting a couple of months to see if the new OS + apps come out.
[Profile] [PM]

DavidA

Post 23-Feb-2007 19:19 (after 7 hours)

[Quote]

For what it's worth, I haven't found anything better than Vegas. The guys at videohelp might know something though.
[Profile] [PM]
Display posts:    
Reply to topic

Current time is: 15-Dec 04:14