How to create and seed a torrent

Go to page :  1, 2  Next

Reply to topic

DavidA ®

Longevity: 11 years

Post 14-Feb-2006 21:59

[Quote]

Creating and seeding a torrent is pretty straight forward. All Bittorrent clients work in a similar way so although I've listed instructions for uTorrent (found here), it's likely other clients such as Azareus and BitComet work in similar ways. If you get stuck, just ask.
I'm assuming you've already got the FLAC files and info file in a directory on your hard disk. How to do this is covered in another thread.-1) Select 'Create New Torrent' in uTorrent.
-2) Select 'Add Directory', select the directory, and then click OK.
-3) Add the announce URL, which is http://www.smithstorrents.co.uk/bt/announce.php then click 'Create and Save As...' I use the filename convention smiths-yyyy-mm-dd-info, so that they're sorted when the torrents download.
-4) Once the progressbar is done, click on 'Close'

Now that the torrent file has been created, it's time to upload it to this board.-5) Click on 'New Topic' in the relevant torrent forum and create a topic relating to the torrent. I use the convention yyyy-mm-dd venue, source.
-6) Add a description. I just paste my description in a monospace Font Face, but feel free to write whatever you want. Be sure to include the source of the recording.
-7) In the attachment box, browse to the torrent file created in step 3.
-8) Click on submit.

If all has gone well, you'll see this message:

If something's gone wrong, you'll see this:
-9) In the event that the torrent was created successfully, download it and start it in your torrent client. Once it's loaded, click on 'Stop'.
-10) Set the download location to be the place where the files are.
-11) Click on 'Force Recheck'
-12) Click on 'Start'. You should see the status change to 'Seeding'
-If all is well, you're now seeding and other folks will be able to download from you. If you've read this far, then I appreciate your effort in seeding. Post a message if you have any problems.

Last edited by DavidA on 2014-06-08 16:30; edited 1 time in total
[Profile] [PM]

omsaps

Post 28-Dec-2006 14:33 (after 10 months 13 days)

[Quote]

I've just tried to Seed the Wembley Arena DVD following your instructions.
I've got to the end where you say press Start and it should say Seeding , all I'm getting is something saying downloading and it's stayed this way .
I'm getting a message saying - PLEASE LOG IN and REDOWNLOAD this Torrent [ Passkey not found ]
Can I take the torrent off and try again at a later date , PLEASE.
Can anyone help .
[Profile] [PM]

DavidA ®

Post 28-Dec-2006 19:00 (after 4 hours)

[Quote]

Deleted. Have another go and let me know how you get on.
If it fails again, then feel free to create multiple posts in order to get it to work. I can always delete the bad ones later and rename the subject line.
[Profile] [PM]

omsaps

Post 28-Dec-2006 19:21 (after 20 minutes)

[Quote]

Deleted. Have another go and let me know how you get on.
If it fails again, then feel free to create multiple posts in order to get it to work. I can always delete the bad ones later and rename the subject line.
Thanx for the help , I'll try again at a later date .
Hopefully my brother will help me.
I find it hard to concentrate because of a Brain Disease , so trying to get it right might take some time.
CHEERS
Keith.
[Profile] [PM]

dannyace

Longevity: 10 years

Post 10-Feb-2007 23:46 (after 1 month 13 days)

[Quote]

im using bittornado at the minute and i
cant work out how to start torrents with
that ... can anyone help?
[Profile] [PM]

ezears

Post 14-Mar-2007 17:25 (after 1 month 3 days)

[Quote]

I'm trying to seed a couple of torrenst I've saved from here using Azurueus. I have some issues I can't work out:
- Do I have to change the tracker name to smithstorrents? It's showing another tracker name. And there's an area that shows 'update tracker'. I'm trying to read all the steps, but I think Azureus is assuming some knowledge about seeding I'm not familiar with!
- Also, do I have to put in my IP address?
I think these details that I can't work out are preventing me from seeding.
I want more good fortune to shine upon me. :D
[Profile] [PM]

DavidA ®

Post 14-Mar-2007 20:31 (after 3 hours)

[Quote]

I'm not familiar with Azureus, but the tracker should be a smithstorrent URL e.g.
http://smithstorrents.co.uk/bt/announce.php?uk=passkey&
You don't need an IP address. You ought to just point your torrent at the correct tracker and then the tracker will take of it. I think.
[Profile] [PM]

ezears

Post 15-Mar-2007 07:44 (after 11 hours)

[Quote]

Thanks David. I figured out how to update the tracker. I just discovered what the pass key symbolizes, too. I tried to seed a couple of torrents, except they now show 'not registered'.
And a big thanks to ownZero for some helpful tips. :)
[Profile] [PM]

Smelly French Boy

Longevity: 10 years

Post 09-Jul-2007 11:59 (after 3 months 25 days)

[Quote]

I try to share my first audio file, it seems to work, but in smithstorrents, there is nothing in 'torrents' dl :?
[Profile] [PM]

arkil

Post 14-Aug-2007 19:41 (after 1 month 5 days)

[Quote]

I try to share my first audio file, it seems to work, but in smithstorrents, there is nothing in 'torrents' dl :?
What do you mean with "but in smithstorrents, there is nothing in 'torrents' dl ".. tu peux en french on editera apres ;)
[Profile] [PM]

PW

Longevity: 6 years 3 months

Post 04-Aug-2011 11:20 (after 3 years 11 months)

[Quote]

I'm usung BitTorrent, and once downloaded it says seeding, however after a day or so, it goes to 'Finished'. Is it still available for seeding, or do I have to do something.
Edit: Also, does changing the name of the file in the taget directory do something bad to the download list in Bittorrent
[Profile] [PM]

SweetFA

Post 04-Aug-2011 13:25 (after 2 hours 5 minutes)

[Quote]

I'm usung BitTorrent, and once downloaded it says seeding, however after a day or so, it goes to 'Finished'. Is it still available for seeding, or do I have to do something.
Edit: Also, does changing the name of the file in the taget directory do something bad to the download list in Bittorrent
Change the name of the downloaded file and it's as if it was never downloaded i'd expect.
Only ever used utorrent so can't help you with why it goes to finished, maybe you've got some setting that once the seed ratio reaches 1.0 (for example) that it stops seeding?
[Profile] [PM]

pierre brasseur

Longevity: 8 years 7 months

Post 02-Dec-2011 11:25 (after 3 months 28 days)

[Quote]

DavidA
Hi, I try to upload the Hollywood Bowl dvd, but I think I do something wrong !!! When I create and save, where do I have to save ?
[Profile] [PM]

the Flea

Post 02-Dec-2011 12:39 (after 1 hour 13 minutes)

[Quote]

I assume your creating and saving the torrent file. It can be saved anywhere you wish but usually in the parent folder. So if the DVD is in C:\My Documents\Hollywood Bowl DVD
you would save the torrent file in C:\My Documents
then follow the above instructions, i.e. create a thread, attach the torrent file to the thread, download the attached torrent file once you have submitted the thread, point the downloaded torrent file to C:\My Documents\Hollywood Bowl DVD
[Profile] [PM]

pierre brasseur

Longevity: 8 years 7 months

Post 05-Dec-2011 12:10 (after 2 days 23 hours)

[Quote]

Thank you so much to David and the Flea for the help. Hope it will work fine. Let me know.
[Profile] [PM]
Display posts:    
Reply to topic

Current time is: 18-Nov 23:21