seeding and downloading in Bittorrent

Reply to topic

veradicere ®

Longevity: 11 years

Post 20-May-2006 21:13

[Quote]

I'm very new to this torrent thing and have little idea about what I'm doing. I have a mac and I'm using Bittorrent (I was using tomato torrent, but decided to try a more commonly used one).
So two problems thus far:
Earlier, I tried downloading a torrent, and it wasn't working (so I thought, based on the fact that it was showing a transfer rate of 0) but when I came back to my computer i saw it successfully downloaded. But with the exception of that one incident (I don't know what I did!) If I try to download a torrent in bittorrent, it shows it as downloading, but there's once again no movement there, no time remaining, a transfer rate of zero. In a word, I'm not downloading anything. I've enabled file sharing, but it still does not seem to be working.
Similarly, I successfully. posted the Earsay interview in the Smiths Video forum. I have no idea how to seed. Once again, I tried to download it, and there's no movement. It shows me as a "Leecher" ...shouldn't it show me as seeding? I'm thoroughly confused. :?
[Profile] [PM]

the Flea

Post 20-May-2006 21:24 (after 11 minutes)

[Quote]

I don't know how MAC's work so can only say what might be causing the problems based on PC's.
If you're firewalled this can stop the transfer from taking place. You should try port-forwarding.
Some clients/trackers can take a while to "kick in" as what seems to have happened to your first download.
The torrent you are trying to seed must be pointing to the exact same place as the files actually are on your hard drive.
[Profile] [PM]

DavidA

Post 21-May-2006 12:35 (after 15 hours)

[Quote]

Hi veradicere,
Regarding the first problem, you'll only be able to download when someone else lets you, so it might be that when you started you couldn't download but some time later you were able to download. I sometimes have to leave something downloading for days before it starts.
Regarding your seeding, try downloading the torrent file from this site and then make sure the place you're 'downloading' to is where it already exists. That way your torrent program will realise it's there already and let others download from you.
Hope that helps,
David
[Profile] [PM]

ezears

Post 16-Aug-2006 15:47 (after 2 months 26 days)

[Quote]

veradicere,
I too have a Mac and use BitTorrent. One minor but important thing I didn't do after dragging my file to the icon on the desktop was to mount the bittorrent disk image. (dmg). The file then automatically started showing a transfer rate.
So now MY question: How do I view the 86 Nottingham show? Do I have to convert the downloaded file to something else? All I have now is a VIDEO_TS folder with blank documents along with the actual torrent file. I'm now seeding.
[Profile] [PM]

ezears

Post 16-Aug-2006 21:36 (after 5 hours)

[Quote]

Okay, I'm very determined and resourceful. BUT in the end, all I had to do was open my DVD player. I am so excited!! Thanks again!!!
Still not able to seed this. I'll keep trying.
[Profile] [PM]

ezears

Post 13-Sep-2006 07:39 (after 27 days)

[Quote]

I can't start seeding again what I've previously downloaded. I've moved my files from my desktop to a dedicated folder after I stopped seeding. Now I can't open my torrent file to re-seed. It's starting to download again. I've read about force-checking files to 100% etc, etc, but don't know if this applies. I use Bittorrent. Seeding was fine until I tried to tidy things up. :(
[Profile] [PM]

DavidA

Post 13-Sep-2006 07:42 (after 3 minutes)

[Quote]

I'm quite sure it's possible in Bittorrent, but I'm not sure how. Each client varies.
Try the Mac bittorrent support forums.
Sorry that's not much help.
[Profile] [PM]

the Flea

Post 13-Sep-2006 08:28 (after 46 minutes)

[Quote]

I can't start seeding again what I've previously downloaded. I've moved my files from my desktop to a dedicated folder after I stopped seeding. Now I can't open my torrent file to re-seed. It's starting to download again.
If you're using the same torrent it will probably still be pointing to the original download folder. Try removing the torrent from the client and redownloading the torrent but point it to the new location of the fully downloaded files.
[Profile] [PM]
Display posts:    
Reply to topic

Current time is: 20-Nov 19:13