Hello. New here and wondering (& have a couple questions)

Reply to topic

cripplecreek ®

Longevity: 10 years

Post 09-Aug-2007 22:23

[Quote]

. . . how everybody's doing?
I just got into The Smiths and I'm head over heels about these guys. How in the world I went 27 years without a proper introduction is amazing - but better late than never eh? Someone on another trading board mentioned this place and I thought I'd check it out.
This place looks amazing. Outside of the general info you get from music websites & wikipedia, I don't know much about the band so I think I'm gonna be spending the weekend reading through these posts. I haven't started searching yet but from the topics and the feel it seems like I'll find what I'm looking for.
Do yall have any recs as far as Shows/ Torrent? Which should I start off with? Are there any shows that'll just blow me away?
Right now I have TQID, Meat Is Murder, Hatful of Hallow, Louder Than Bombs, and I've just ordered The Smiths & Rank. Are Strangeways... or any of the compilation albums - must haves?
Thanks fellas. And looking forward to hearing what yall have to say.
Kyle
[Profile] [PM]

the Flea

Longevity: 11 years

Post 09-Aug-2007 22:59 (after 36 minutes)

[Quote]

It's all a matter of choice, I prefer earlier Smiths material but others may prefer later Smiths material. Simplest thing to do is download/buy it all and make your own mind up ;)
The John Peel sessions are incredible I think everyone will agree on that, even better if they include John's intros and outros :)
[Profile] [PM]

DavidA

Post 09-Aug-2007 23:39 (after 40 minutes)

[Quote]

As far as live recordings get Rank (official) and Thank Your Lucky Stars and Same Day Again (bootlegs). There's a whole load more but that might be a good place to start.
The Queen Is Dead, Meat Is Murder and Hatful of Hollow (probably in that order) are my favourite albums.
[Profile] [PM]

cripplecreek ®

Longevity: 10 years

Post 11-Aug-2007 17:07 (after 1 day 17 hours)

[Quote]

Thanks for the the comments and info. Yall have been a huge help!
Simplest thing to do is download/buy it all and make your own mind up.
The John Peel sessions are incredible ... even better if they include John's intros and outros
Yeah, I'm definitely getting what's available in the stores (The only album releases I don't have are Strangeways, The World Won't Listen, The Best series, & Singles) - I've never bought up a bands discography so fast in my life :lol:
- Outside of Strangeways do I really need to get the rest?
-- The only tune I'm missing is "Money Changes Everything" from The World Won't Listen. Are the songs on the Best series & Singles repackaging or remixes?
** Are there torrents/ bootlegs with only Peel session materials (some kind of compilation)? I've seen them littered through the torrents but because I use Bittorrent I can only dwnld an entire torrent instead of picking and choosing songs. Some of the tunes on Louder include Peel sessions but that's all I have right now.
As far as live recordings get Rank (official) and Thank Your Lucky Stars and Same Day Again (bootlegs). There's a whole load more but that might be a good place to start.
Thanks David, I just got Rank (& The Smiths) in the mail yesterday and I love 'em. I'll keep looking for Thank Your Lucky Stars & Same Day Again torrents that are seedable.
Thanks a million fellas :D
[Profile] [PM]

SweetFA

Post 11-Aug-2007 22:15 (after 5 hours)

[Quote]

The Best... , Very Best, & Singles compilations are just repackaging.
World Won't Listen has a different mix of The Boy With The Thorn In His Side (the single version as opposed to the album version) but you're not missing much if you only have the album version, it's only slightly different and not at all improved either in my humble.
There's also a completely different take of Stretch Out And Wait on World Won't Listen but personally i prefer the Louder Than Bombs version anyway.
Money Changes Anything is a nice instrumental but you'd be better off getting Strangeways first, some great songs on there, their last album.
I'd recommend getting Viva Hate as well which was Morrissey's first solo album, i'm not a big fan of his solo stuff and wouldn't recommend anything else (probably unique on this board for that opinion but hey who cares) but that album is very good.
Hatful Of Hollow and Louder Than Bombs do have some Peel sessions on them, you should also get the Peel Sessions EP which is a 4-track CD, 3 tracks are on Hatful but the other, Miserable Lie is unique to that release.
There's a different version of it on The Smiths but this one is a bit special, nice harmonica from Johnny Marr.
Oh, bootlegs. The Troy Tate sessions, of which there are a few different versions which have a thread on here all of their own are demos or abandoned takes of the first album, nice & raw.
Get those, they're superb and essential.
[Profile] [PM]
Display posts:    
Reply to topic

Current time is: 20-Nov 19:13