Hey fellas, I tons of Smiths questions for ya.

Reply to topic

cripplecreek ®

Longevity: 10 years

Post 08-Sep-2007 19:06

[Quote]

I'm new here and have posted similar threads before. I've just started really listening to the Smiths this past summer and I've never been gripped by a band like I have these guys. However, I don't know anyone who knows anything about these guys so I'm really lucky y'all have created this site. Everyone here has been extremely helpful.
So here are my many questions and I'll appreciate any feedback:
I already have all the albums & songs from the singles (that I know of) ... so what bootlegs should I look into getting?
- Thanks to this site I've been able to get Humdrum Town, Same Day Again, & Thank Your Lucky Stars ... what others are great 'starters'
And is there a bootleg with a really good "Rubber Ring"? I have a couple where they tease the song but never play it outright.
Any DVDs or books worth looking into? I just got the Still Ill DVD but haven't been able to watch it all yet. I like the interviews I've seen so far - I mean seriously, what better way to get a sense of the band.
Honestly, yall I can't thank y'all enough. I bought TQID about a year ago, listened to it once in a while and then early this summer it just hit me. I just 'got it'. And I haven't looked back since.
THANKS A MILLION.
[Profile] [PM]

nickca

Longevity: 9 years

Post 09-Oct-2007 09:57 (after 1 month)

[Quote]

I already have all the albums & songs from the singles (that I know of) ... so what bootlegs should I look into getting?
- Thanks to this site I've been able to get Humdrum Town, Same Day Again, & Thank Your Lucky Stars ... what others are great 'starters'
Same Day Again and Thank Your Lucky Stars are two of the most essential. You should also check out:
The Butterfly Collector: Two shows, a fairly good 1984 one from the Netherlands, and a recording of their third ever gig, at the Hacienda in Manchester. This show contains the only recording of "What Do You See In Him", an early version of "Wonderful Woman" with completely different lyrics.
Asleep: A rarities collection consisting of TV appearances, soundcheck recordings, etc. Also contains a unique version of "How Soon Is Now" from the B side of the Italian "William, It Was Really Nothing" 12".
One of the many recordings of the 12/12/86 Brixton Academy show, which was their last ever. Mine is called "The Final Gig".
The Complete Peel Sessions: Self-explanatory.
Last Of The English Roses: An excellent recording of an excellent show, 3/12/84 at the Hammersmith Palais in London. This is the show where Sandie Shaw joins them onstage for "I Don't Owe You Anything".
Reel Around The Fountain: Another good rarities compilation, radio appearances, some tracks from the aborted (Troy Tate) sessions for the first album that aren't on other bootlegs, etc.
The Troy Tate Sessions - A fairly complete collection of the recordings for the scrapped first album. Between this and Reel Around The Fountain you'll have all but a few of the songs.
Other than that, just get whatever you like. Anything from late 83-late 84 is fun, because the songs that eventually ended up on Meat Is Murder go through a lot of evolutionary changes, especially Barbarism Begins At Home.
[Profile] [PM]
Display posts:    
Reply to topic

Current time is: 25-Sep 04:32