Hey Brits: Any stories or thoughts about The Stone Roses

Reply to topic

cripplecreek ®

Longevity: 10 years

Post 07-Oct-2007 21:02

[Quote]

I know this is a Smiths site but I've figured I'd take a shot. The only reason I found The Smiths is because I found The Stone Roses. I never even heard of the Roses until I was living in Spain about 3 years ago and their name kept popping up in all the music mags. I took a chance and loved 'em. After some digging around I was led to The Smiths.
But I've always wondered what y'all on the other side of the pond have to say about 'em. Whether it's a story or just an opinion - let it rip. I've searched the internet 3X over and found some old articles, in good info but I'd love to hear straight from the 'horse's mouth'.
Take Care fellas.
[Profile] [PM]

DavidA

Longevity: 11 years

Post 07-Oct-2007 21:35 (after 33 minutes)

[Quote]

I was at college when they released their first album. I had it on repeat-play all Summer, as did most of my friends. Everyone could air guitar to the John Squire solo on Resurrection. It was also a band that rewarded you for digging deeper than the album tracks: there were some blinding singles and B-sides. Really nice, elegant melodies with some nice harmonies. Incredible to think it was their debut.
Sadly their Silvertone battle meant they lost all their momentum and people looked elsewhere.
There's a great documentary on them, The Smiths and The Happy Mondays and others here. It's really good.
[Profile] [PM]

SweetFA

Post 07-Oct-2007 22:34 (after 58 minutes)

[Quote]

Well i was 15 when The Stone Roses came out, i'd been into the Smiths for a year or so by then i think.
Pretty much ignored them until i bought my sister the album for Christmas on the recommendation of the NME and when i listened to it i was amazed at how good it was.
Probably one of the very best debut albums ever, as DavidA said it all started to go wrong when they had the long break afterwards up to Second Coming.
Some good tracks on that album but i can't say i listen to it much, too much of a deep south American sound to it for a Manc band to pull off successfully.
Still they go down as one of the most important bands of the last 25 years and in Reni and John Squire they probably had one of the best drummers and one of the best guitarists of their generation and Ian Brown was a great frontman (albeit one that sounded dodgy live). Mani wasn't a bad bassist either.....
[Profile] [PM]

BeerFunk

Longevity: 10 years

Post 16-Feb-2008 20:09 (after 4 months 8 days)

[Quote]

I find it quite amazing how popular they are off the back of essentially just one album (The Second Coming is poor, relatively). Much like the Sex Pistols, actually. The debut album is a great album, although it's not good enough to break into my top 10/20 of all time. Still, the influence they had with their original style has cascaded down the years, so credit is definitely due! :wink:
[Profile] [PM]

SweetFA

Post 17-Feb-2008 10:10 (after 14 hours)

[Quote]

"Second Coming" had some good songs on it but it wasn't a great album.
Some of their b-sides and non-album singles like Fools Gold and One Love are excellent, the "Turns Into Stone" compilation is well worth owning.
"The Stone Roses" would be in my top 10 albums.
[Profile] [PM]
Display posts:    
Reply to topic

Current time is: 16-Dec 12:51