Now My Heart Is Full
November Spawned A Monster
Reader Meet Author
Alma Matters
Sunny
Trouble Loves Me
Meat Is Murder
/Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me
I dropped out of recording shows in the late 80s, and even stopped trading in the early 90s. I still went to all Morrissey's London shows, but I wanted to just enjoy them. I'd burnt out doing all the Smiths shows, which had got to the point where I felt I HAD to record every show. Anyway in the late 90s CD-Rs became affordable, and I wanted to archive all my 80s recordings. That, and the internet, got me back into trading again, and when I saw Morrissey was touring in 1999, I decided I'd give recording another try. I got some really good stealth mics ... the DPA4061's are really high quality, but absolutely tiny. You can clip them to your collar and hardly notice that they are there ... and a portable DAT recorder. The Forum (or the Town & Country Club, as it used to be known) was always a favourite to record at. It's a great venue. Large standing space at the front, with a slightly raised platform at the back where the soundboard is ... and bars further back. A nice wide stage, with stacks either side, and stairs at the front sides leading up to the seated balcony ... all free seating. I got there early to get a good position to record ... it was the first time I'd been there for years. It hadn't changed much. They'd put up a barrier across the front, with space behind it for the security to wander up and down. This was open above the barrier in front of the main bit of the stage, but had a wire mesh above it, up about 12 foot, to the sides where the stacks started. Fans had already started to congregate in the middle of the barrier. I took my place a few feet to the left of where the mesh started in front of the stacks. I had invested in a good pair of ear-plugs, so I could stand as close to the speakers as I could get. By the time the band came on, the place was stuffed ... there was obviously going to be a lot of jostling down the front. The mesh turned out to be a godsend. My mics were clipped to my collar. I was going line-in, so I had the recording level maxed out, and I knew I'd get a reasonable level without ever clipping (I'd done some dry runs). So it was just a matter of pressing record, pressing myself hard against the barrier facing the speakers, and hanging on to the mesh for dear life. While the people around me were being pushed all over the place, I was clinging like a limpet to the same spot. Occasionally I'd have security standing almost in front of me ... but the mics were so discrete, they just didn't notice them ... so I never bothered to try and hide them. The results were the best recordings I've ever made I think. There's still a tiny bit of audience chatter when people shouted right behind me ... but it's hardly audible.
Recorded with DPA4061 mics into Sony D100 DAT recorder.
[Profile] [PM]

bclark93

Longevity: 11 years

Post 12-Oct-2007 18:20 (after 5 minutes)

[Quote]

this looks fantastic Steve!!!
many many thanks again for taking the time to record and share these!!
[Profile] [PM]

dara

Longevity: 10 years

Post 12-Oct-2007 19:52 (after 1 hour 31 minute)

[Quote]

"I'd burnt out doing all the Smiths shows, which had got to the point where I felt I HAD to record every show." Thanks goodness you did!! Looking forward hearing this one. Thanks, Steve.
[Profile] [PM]

arkil

Post 12-Oct-2007 20:04 (after 12 minutes)

[Quote]

thanks so much Steve :)
may i bother you with how you made the transfer from dat ?
thanks very much once again... Morrissey's gig with dpa + dat at this period are quite rare :)
arkil

Last edited by arkil on 2007-10-13 00:23; edited 2 times in total
[Profile] [PM]

matti

Post 12-Oct-2007 20:07 (after 3 minutes)

[Quote]

Superb! Many thanks again:)
[Profile] [PM]

fki

Post 12-Oct-2007 20:43 (after 36 minutes)

[Quote]

Wonderful!
Can't wait to listen to this recording...
[Profile] [PM]

cut_here

Post 12-Oct-2007 21:02 (after 18 minutes)

[Quote]

thank you!!
[Profile] [PM]

steve ®

Post 12-Oct-2007 21:34 (after 31 minute)

[Quote]

may i bother you with how you made the transfer from dat ?
DAT machine -> SPDIF -> computer recorded using Wavelab. Slight re-eq (small bass roll-off), then burned to CD
[Profile] [PM]

Patrick

Post 12-Oct-2007 22:44 (after 1 hour 10 minutes)

[Quote]

Steve,
What did you use to get the bass roll off? I have a problem with bass in a lot of my early stuff. Hard to get rid of. Thanks for this.
[Profile] [PM]

arkil

Post 13-Oct-2007 00:25 (after 1 hour 40 minutes)

[Quote]

DAT machine -> SPDIF -> computer recorded using Wavelab. Slight re-eq (small bass roll-off), then burned to CD
thanks for the info Steve :)
[Profile] [PM]

steve ®

Post 13-Oct-2007 07:35 (after 7 hours)

[Quote]

what did you use to get the bass roll off?
Wavelab comes with some good plugins for EQ and stuff. I just used the 18 band EQ and adjusted until it sounded right. You have to be careful not to EQ too much, and listen back on decent speakers. I have a dedicated amp and studio monitors.
[Profile] [PM]

lazarus

Post 14-Oct-2007 13:44 (after 1 day 6 hours)

[Quote]

merci !
[Profile] [PM]

anovella

Post 14-Oct-2007 17:16 (after 3 hours)

[Quote]

Thank you very much
[Profile] [PM]

monsterH

Post 15-Oct-2007 03:50 (after 10 hours)

[Quote]

So there is still reason to look forward to Fridays...thanks Steve!
[Profile] [PM]

MacPhisto247

Post 18-Oct-2007 16:32 (after 3 days)

[Quote]

Steve I am still in awe of the great Smiths' masters you have shared here at SmithsTorrents, and now that you're sharing what you've recorded of moz, what else is there left to say but, THANKS!
[Profile] [PM]
Display posts:    
Reply to topic

Current time is: 21-Nov 15:40