Can anyone help me identify a version of "There Is A Light..."?

Reply to topic

nickca ®

Longevity: 9 years

Post 13-Oct-2007 23:18

[Quote]

I downloaded this version 10-11 years ago or so from a long-gone website that had MP3s of Smiths rarities. I've long since lost it and it was the best version of the song (probably my favorite Smiths song) I've ever heard. Marr played the string/keyboard parts on guitar and it was just a magnificent, soaring arrangement. Here's what I remember about it: I'm pretty sure it was from a performance taped for television, I believe it was a show aired somewhere in western Europe (maybe France?), and it wasn't the version from a 1986 episode of EuroTube. Anyone have any ideas? Could someone maybe list all the taped-for-TV performances of "There Is A Light That Never Goes Out"? Thanks in advance.
Stay handsome,
Nick
[Profile] [PM]

pjlm

Longevity: 11 years

Post 14-Oct-2007 00:41 (after 1 hour 22 minutes)

[Quote]

The Smiths only did "There Is A Light That Never Goes Out" on Euro-Tube. They also did it at San Remo in 1987, but that was lipsynched.
Check out "Passions Just Like Mine" for all the information, under 'in the media'.
Stephane
[Profile] [PM]

nickca ®

Post 14-Oct-2007 04:45 (after 4 hours)

[Quote]

Hmm, thanks, I must be misremembering. It must have been a recording of a gig. Guess I'll just keep downloading bootlegs until I find it.
Love your site, by the way. I've spent many hours on it. It's the best Smiths/Moz site since the old LASID.
[Profile] [PM]

adventureboy

Longevity: 10 years

Post 14-Oct-2007 14:56 (after 10 hours)

[Quote]

are you by any chance referring to the version from the Kilburn National Ballroom gig from October 23rd 1986? This is probably the best live version of the song and the one which I thought of when I read your post. It was not released with the rest of the gig on the Rank album but it was broadcast on radio a few times. It is available for download on this site.
[Profile] [PM]

nickca ®

Post 14-Oct-2007 22:50 (after 7 hours)

[Quote]

It was in fact from the Kilburn National Ballroom show. It had never been very high on my list of bootlegs to acquire since most of it had been released officially on Rank, but I downloaded the video of it from here since it's unique and there it was. I don't know why I remembered it being from a TV taping. Why in the world didn't they include it on Rank? It was the best performance of the show and one of the best of all time. I've heard rumors that Morrissey wanted to more or less sabotage Rank as he saw it as a cynical cash-in on the breakup, maybe that's really true after all.
[Profile] [PM]

DavidA

Longevity: 11 years

Post 14-Oct-2007 23:40 (after 49 minutes)

[Quote]

Here's a good quality version of that track. This is a version which was broadcast via BBC 6Music Satellite Broadcast.
Even though it's lossy I might seed this and the Oxford gig that the BBC recorded and subsequently broadcast (although not in their entirety).
[Profile] [PM]

kresnik2015

Longevity: 3 years 1 month

Post 04-Jul-2014 02:24 (after 6 years 8 months)

[Quote]

Here's a good quality version of that track. This is a version which was broadcast via BBC 6Music Satellite Broadcast.
Even though it's lossy I might seed this and the Oxford gig that the BBC recorded and subsequently broadcast (although not in their entirety).
There are more tracks of that concert with good quality? I mean, I've dowloaded the whole concert but it doesnt sound so good, and I just dowloaded this version of there is a.... and it sounds so freaking gooooood! I'm impressed !
[Profile] [PM]

sailnit

Longevity: 5 years 1 month

Post 04-Jul-2014 03:56 (after 1 hour 31 minute)

[Quote]

There are more tracks of that concert with good quality? I mean, I've dowloaded the whole concert but it doesnt sound so good, and I just dowloaded this version of there is a.... and it sounds so freaking gooooood! I'm impressed !
Maybe this is what you're looking for:
http://smithstorrents.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=2358
[Profile] [PM]
Display posts:    
Reply to topic

Current time is: 18-Aug 06:48