Uploading/Seeding

Go to page :  1, 2  Next

Reply to topic

mozarr ®

Longevity: 11 years

Post 21-Oct-2007 20:11

[Quote]

Hello - I'm using BitTorrent and I'm still pretty new to all this. I have a question about uploading and seeding.
I downloaded a DVD and when it was done 100%, I left it in the que to upload - I'm assuming that is how you seed, right?
Well, I left it there and it just sat at 0%. It didn't change even when I restarted it and left it there for a long long time hoping something would kick in. I don't understand that. I want to seed and share properly, but I'm not sure what's going on.
I notice that when I download, there's also an upload rate. My thing right now is that a file is downloading, but my upload rate is 0%. I don't get that.
When I was downloading the first DVD, it actually was uploading as well - meaning, it never went to 0%. This is the first time I've seen it at 0% and not moving at all.
Can someone explain all this to me? I even have my max upload rate pushed all the way up to T3. I'm confused.
Thanks for the help!
[Profile] [PM]

mozarr ®

Post 21-Oct-2007 22:37 (after 2 hours 26 minutes)

[Quote]

OH, also - is it possible to download a file while seeding a different file?
[Profile] [PM]

mg196

Longevity: 10 years

Post 22-Oct-2007 03:25 (after 4 hours)

[Quote]

Sometimes, even though you are seeding, some leechers may not be able to grab hold of the torrent. There are a few reasons for it, but it is NOT uncommon.
[Profile] [PM]

mg196

Longevity: 10 years

Post 22-Oct-2007 03:26 (after 38 seconds)

[Quote]

OH, also - is it possible to download a file while seeding a different file?
Absolutely.
[Profile] [PM]

mozarr ®

Post 22-Oct-2007 03:56 (after 30 minutes)

[Quote]

Absolutely.
How do you do that in BitTorrent?
[Profile] [PM]

the Flea

Post 22-Oct-2007 07:43 (after 3 hours)

[Quote]

Leaving a completed torrent (i.e. you finished downloading the files) open in your bittorrent client should make you a seeder. Just open another window of BitTorrent for another file to download.
The only problem could be you are not correctly port-forwarded, if this is the case you may need to look at http://portforward.com/routers.htm to sort that little problem out.
The trouble is, BitTorrent is an old piece of software with many problems, you need to upgrade to a more user-friendly client like Utorrent. Get it here:- http://www.utorrent.com/download.php
This piece of software allows many torrents seeding and leeching to work in the one window. You only need the one window open as opposed to BitTorrents, one window for each torrent
[Profile] [PM]

Reint

Longevity: 9 years 7 months

Post 05-Mar-2008 16:21 (after 4 months 14 days)

[Quote]

Hi. I also have a seeding question. I really want to seed, I want to give something back to the people on this site who share all this stuff. But first you guys have to help me!
I fully downloaded the Live in Madrid video concert. Not from this site, but from a torrent from spytorrent.com. It ended succesfully in my Shared-map. It's uploading now, but when it's done, are you guys able to to download it? Am I seeding then?
Or do I yet have to change the title or something?
Are there any other settings that have to be done?
[Profile] [PM]

the Flea

Post 05-Mar-2008 16:27 (after 6 minutes)

[Quote]

You would have to upload the torrent file onto this forum for our members to take the video from you. Please be aware we already have 3 Madrid concert videos on the forum already. Do not upload the video if it is already on the forum, unless you are sure it is an upgrade or a different recorder.
[Profile] [PM]

Reint

Post 06-Mar-2008 07:39 (after 15 hours)

[Quote]

Well, I thought that if more people uploaded the same file, you could download it faster? But now I guess that isn't true.
I don't think I have anything new to offer. So I can't be a seeder?
[Profile] [PM]

the Flea

Post 06-Mar-2008 08:52 (after 1 hour 12 minutes)

[Quote]

If you have files that are from this forum you can at any time start the torrent up and become a seeder.
[Profile] [PM]

Reint

Post 06-Mar-2008 09:43 (after 51 minute)

[Quote]

''Start the torrent up''
How do I do that with Azureus, or just in general?
(we're almost there)
[Profile] [PM]

the Flea

Post 06-Mar-2008 09:50 (after 6 minutes)

[Quote]

Been a long time since I used Azureus but usually you go to wherever you downloaded the torrent file to and simply double-click it. The associated program (in your case Azureus) will start up and try and download the music. Simply point Azureus to wherever you downloaded the music files to and click "OK". Azureus will check the files and resume uploading/downloading.
You are then a seeder
[Profile] [PM]

Reint

Post 06-Mar-2008 14:05 (after 4 hours)

[Quote]

So i I guess I'm a seeder now?
[Profile] [PM]

the Flea

Post 06-Mar-2008 14:24 (after 19 minutes)

[Quote]

Hmmm, dunno, it's all Dutch to me :mrgreen:
Yes it looks like you are a seeder but if the torrent file wasn't downloaded from SmithTorrents, then our members can't get the video from you (we won't see you as a seed).
You are only seeding from/to wherever you got the torrent from originally.
SpyTorrent is probably a leech site so your seeding isn't helping you, it's just letting anonymous people get the video from other anonymous people (you).
[Profile] [PM]

Reint

Post 06-Mar-2008 15:18 (after 53 minutes)

[Quote]

Yes, ok. But I will download from this site, so that's gonna be allright. Great thanks Flea!
[Profile] [PM]
Display posts:    
Reply to topic

Current time is: 22-Oct 01:19