The most loathed Smiths song is one of my favorites.

Reply to topic

zacksfansite ®

Longevity: 9 years 1 month

Post 20-Jul-2008 19:01

[Quote]

If I was ever to conduct a top ten list of my favorite list, somewhere in there I'd find some space to fit in "Death at One's Elbow".
People say it's terrible but to me it feels the song is suppose to be terrible which in turn reflects the relationship between Morrissey and Marr at the time.
One other thing is that it blandly reminds me of my parent's divorce amidst the fact i usually listen to it because of how ridiculous and catchy it is.
But it serves as a good way to reminisce back on it.
It almost reminds me of the lyrics I'd randomly conceive in my head when an argument or such was going on as I observed.
Which these lyrics would purposely be horribly mundane, straight-forward, and slightly offensive.
"Glen" would have to take the role of my mother.
And to explain how distraught, angered, and confused my dad was:
"Who really, really loves you", "Who'll take a hatchet to your ear", etc.
As he did have many violent outburst but no one was ever sent to the Hospital or no one ever actually experienced something as grotesque as a stabbing or even a hatchet to the ear.
It would sound as if it was from my point of view but then it would have to switch to either one of my parent's view when Morrissey goes to say:
"Because you'll slip on the
Trail of all my sad remains
That's why, that's why
Goodbye my love".
So I tend to actually appreciate the song very well.
[Profile] [PM]

SweetFA

Longevity: 11 years

Post 20-Jul-2008 19:39 (after 37 minutes)

[Quote]

I like it too but then i like "Golden Lights".
"I keep mine hidden" is very poor and "Never Had No-one Ever" is dull but apart from that i can't think of any Smiths songs i don't like.
[Profile] [PM]

dnewgrounds

Longevity: 9 years

Post 23-Jul-2008 08:39 (after 2 days 13 hours)

[Quote]

I think "I Keep Mine Hidden" is a great song. I also think "Never Had No One Ever" is a dull spot on a magnificent album. I was never really fond of "I Started Something I Couldn't Finish" or "Miserable Lie".
[Profile] [PM]

SweetFA

Post 23-Jul-2008 09:52 (after 1 hour 12 minutes)

[Quote]

"Miserable Lie" was always a favourite when i started getting into the Smiths about 20 years ago, the lyrics are very funny.
"I started something" is just a great pop song, how can someone not like a song with "I grabbed you by the guilded beams, urgh that's what tradition means" in it or "hairbrushed and parted, typical me, typical me, typical me" or "and now 18 months hard labour seems, fair enough"?
"Sheila Takes A Bow" and "Shakespeare's Sister" were their worst singles in my humble, not BAD songs just not much going on either.
[Profile] [PM]

Reint

Longevity: 9 years 5 months

Post 19-Aug-2008 11:44 (after 27 days)

[Quote]

Shakespeare's Sister I like in all it's craziness (?). Songs like I Kep Minde Hidden, Sheila Take a Bow and I Started Something are a bit theatrical/glam, but are still good.
Never Had No One Ever is brilliant. Never fails for me.
[Profile] [PM]

SweetFA

Post 20-Aug-2008 07:16 (after 19 hours)

[Quote]

"Shakespearer's Sister" reminds me of Bohemian Rhapsody with the "Mama let me go" stuff.
[Profile] [PM]

Reint

Longevity: 9 years 5 months

Post 20-Aug-2008 14:23 (after 7 hours)

[Quote]

Haha, I don't think that was their intention. I once read it was Marr's 'tribute' to the Rolling Stones' Have You Seen Your Mother, Baby, Standing in the Shadow?
[Profile] [PM]
Display posts:    
Reply to topic

Current time is: 20-Aug 15:27