Did anyone like Ringleader of the Tormentors?

Go to page :  1, 2  Next

Reply to topic

DAVIE ®

Longevity: 8 years 3 months

Post 24-Jun-2009 23:50

[Quote]

I was really let down by the album, I thought this was gonna be the end of Morrissey, does anyone agree that this was the worst album that Morrissey could have ever released? Thank God he released Years of Refusal because it rocks Ringleader of the Tormentors arse bad style and Moz seems a lot more happier singing some proper rock too!
[Profile] [PM]

XAVeRY

Longevity: 9 years 4 months

Post 25-Jun-2009 01:05 (after 1 hour 14 minutes)

[Quote]

I can't get enough of the hate being put towards Ringleader of the Tormentors. I really like the feeling of incredible pain that I can notice throughout most of the songs, as well as some of the most unusual compositions by Visconti.
My favorites are I'll Never Be Anybody's Hero Now (ah, the lyrics, ah, the falsetto...), I'll See You in Far-off Places and the unforgettable Life is a Pigsty.
And don't tell me you don't like the intro to the first song I've mentioned - this is what I call "one of the most unusual Visconti compositions".
I even got a deluxe (CD+DVD+poster) edition of this album lately.
[Profile] [PM]

Tracey

Longevity: 11 years

Post 29-Jun-2009 02:01 (after 4 days)

[Quote]

of the three "comeback" albums, it is w/o a doubt my favorite.
[Profile] [PM]

ravenslament.

Longevity: 8 years 5 months

Post 29-Jun-2009 14:42 (after 12 hours)

[Quote]

i disagree davie , in my opinion morrissey hasn't released a duff album , even though on some of the albums there are some tracks that are not up to standard , when some of the b-sides to the singles are far better . lets not diss morrissey's output , lets just be glad that he still is producing material that we all can relate too .
[Profile] [PM]

SweetFA

Post 29-Jun-2009 19:20 (after 4 hours)

[Quote]

It's better than kill uncle for goodness sake! A few weak tracks but some good ones too, maybe the highlights aren't quite as good as on the albums either side of it...
[Profile] [PM]

XAVeRY

Post 30-Jun-2009 01:41 (after 6 hours)

[Quote]

Don't anybody dare criticize Kill Uncle.
I'm quite fond of it. But only the American edition, to be honest. Without Tony the Pony as the closing track, it's worthless.
Well, I may be exaggerating, but don't you tell me you hate every song from this album.
[Profile] [PM]

ravenslament.

Post 30-Jun-2009 06:30 (after 4 hours)

[Quote]

xavery i agree kill uncle is an excellent album but my favourite is viva hate especially last night , maudlin street , maybe one of those classic tracks that is full of emotion and shows the depth of morrissey's writing and also not forgetting the track i don't mind if you forget me . has morrissey ever played last night , maudlin street live ??????????
[Profile] [PM]

SweetFA

Post 30-Jun-2009 07:34 (after 1 hour 4 minutes)

[Quote]

Don't anybody dare criticize Kill Uncle.
I'm quite fond of it. But only the American edition, to be honest. Without Tony the Pony as the closing track, it's worthless.
Well, I may be exaggerating, but don't you tell me you hate every song from this album.
Terrible album, bought it off a schoolmate for a pound and felt robbed.
Only ever played it a couple of times.
May have a listen on Spotify to see if it's as bad as i remember.
"There's A Place In Hell For Me And My Friends" was ok iirc, though the live b-side version was much better.
"Viva Hate" is a very good album, the natural successor to Strangeways.
Not a fan of "Your Arsenal", great tunes but lyrically it's disappointing.
"National Front Disco" and the song with "England For The English" in it bother me as well.
[Profile] [PM]

ravenslament.

Post 30-Jun-2009 10:33 (after 2 hours 59 minutes)

[Quote]

agree sweet fa , the two songs you mention make me cringe , why so stupid morrissey ?
[Profile] [PM]

DAVIE ®

Longevity: 8 years 3 months

Post 30-Jun-2009 22:37 (after 12 hours)

[Quote]

Viva Hate is one of my favourite Moz albums along with Years of Refusal, I've watched the Kill Uncle Tour on youtube and it looks absolutely ace so I'm not gonna diss the album, but I think he performed the tracks much better in his live tour! It's just "Ringleaders of Torment" has no sense of alternative rock or catchy riffs in the album, it just isn't like the other albums he's made...
[Profile] [PM]

XAVeRY

Post 30-Jun-2009 22:40 (after 2 minutes)

[Quote]

Your Arsenal is great in my opinion. Though the natonalist lyrics don't really bother me that much, I still try to tell myself that Morrissey isn't serious or is being sarcastic while singing them. Or he's just trying to fit in to a different character than he actually is. The second side of that album just melts my heart...I just can't start feeling all sentimental and sad while listening to Seasick or Someday - these two songs practically make the album for me. Though I have to admit it's very rock-y, quite heavy compared to his works from this period.
I don't know why, but I can't really find Viva Hate to be a successor of Strangeways. Viva is so full of hate, so full of anger, and I can't seem to find these emotions on Strangeways - I'd say it's more filled with hope and maybe slight disappointment.
Viva Hate is high on my favorites list nevertheless.
[Profile] [PM]

SweetFA

Post 30-Jun-2009 22:48 (after 8 minutes)

[Quote]

I don't know why, but I can't really find Viva Hate to be a successor of Strangeways. Viva is so full of hate, so full of anger, and I can't seem to find these emotions on Strangeways - I'd say it's more filled with hope and maybe slight disappointment.
Viva Hate is high on my favorites list nevertheless.
Musically and the way he sings, that's the link with Viva Hate.
Experimenting with instruments other than guitar, bass, and drums.
[Profile] [PM]

SweetFA

Post 01-Jul-2009 12:28 (after 13 hours)

[Quote]

Back on topic, imho the Moz/Tobias tracks are generally better than the Moz/Whyte tracks though i quite like "Life Is A Pigsty" and "...Far Off Places".
[Profile] [PM]

sisterofmercy

Longevity: 8 years 2 months

Post 21-Jul-2009 17:30 (after 20 days)

[Quote]

I loved Ringleader of the Tormentors. Some of the tracks like 'I Will See You in Far Places' did take a few listens to really get into, but overall I really enjoyed the album.
Saying that though, I do agree that Years of Refusal is better.
Oh, and hi by the way, I look forward to posting on here :)
[Profile] [PM]

Reint

Longevity: 9 years 6 months

Post 16-Aug-2009 00:44 (after 25 days)

[Quote]

Hmm, am I the only one who likes Ringleader more than Refusal? On the Streets I Ran is brilliant.
[Profile] [PM]
Display posts:    
Reply to topic

Current time is: 25-Sep 20:32