Go to page :  1, 2  Next

Reply to topic

DavidA ®

Longevity: 11 years

Post 16-Feb-2006 13:14

[Quote]

Which are your favourite bootlegs?
I have a few favourites.
Electric Stars because it has a really early and interesting version of Barbarism Begins At Home.
Last of the English Roses because it's about the best Hatful of Hollow era recording.
Same Day Again because it's an immaculately recorded show from the Meat Is Murder era, plus I love the album.
Thank Your Lucky Stars because it's about the best non-official recording around. Nice version of Please Please Please.
The Final Gig if only for Johnny's intro to Some Girls.
What bugs me about The Final Gig bootleg is I know that Grant Showbiz has a perfect recording of this show which has never seen the light of day. His recording of Some Girls from that gig is on the Japanese Stop Me EP, and on the flip side of the CD re-issue of There Is A Light.
In general I like bootlegs where they're playing pre-release versions. It's interesting to see how they vary from the versions that were recorded in the studio.
[Profile] [PM]

dlgladwin

Post 22-Feb-2006 09:44 (after 5 days)

[Quote]

I'd have to agree about Same Day Again - that complete gig would make a great official release, or a disc of a future box set.
Thank Your Lucky Stars does sound wonderful - it's just a shame about the security guards deciding to beat up the audience at the end, thus spoiling both performance and enjoyment.
Last of The English Roses is one that I return to, although I don't think the recording - on my copy, at least - is as good as on the two above shows.
I haven't heard Electric Stars, or The Final Gig. Maybe they're saving the latter for that box...
...and what other decent soundboard/broadcast recordings are out there?
[Profile] [PM]

DavidA ®

Post 22-Feb-2006 13:50 (after 4 hours)

[Quote]

What box?
[Profile] [PM]

dlgladwin

Post 22-Feb-2006 14:48 (after 58 minutes)

[Quote]

Well, there was a quote from Johnny Marr posted up on the Morrissey Solo site a few weeks ago, in relation to the full unedited take of The Queen Is Dead, which was cut down for the album. Apparently, this was one of the rarities that Marr thought of when "the record company" wanted to know about unreleased goodies recently.
This is the story I'm thinking of:
http://www.morrissey-solo.com/article.pl?sid=06/01/21/1822222
Scroll past the reunion stuff, and it's at the bottom.
It's still only talk, mind.
[Profile] [PM]

DavidA ®

Post 22-Feb-2006 19:28 (after 4 hours)

[Quote]

Hrm... hadn't seen that.
A few years ago I bought The Very Best of The Smiths when it came out. I looked on the sleeve notes, found the name of the engineer and the company that did the remastering, then cold called him. He was in California, working at Rhino Records. Instead of hanging up the phone, we talked for a couple of hours about what was on those master tapes. Despite there not being any new records, he talked about quite a few alternative takes which have never seen the light of day, including the longer versions of Queen Is Dead. I didn't know they were considering releasing some of these rarities. Interesting.
[Profile] [PM]

dlgladwin

Post 23-Feb-2006 08:59 (after 13 hours)

[Quote]

If you posted that last paragraph up on http://www.morrissey-solo.com/ the reaction would be amazing!
I won't post a link there myself, in case you don't want that, but I'd like to see you do it.
[Profile] [PM]

DavidA ®

Post 23-Feb-2006 12:54 (after 3 hours)

[Quote]

I'd put money on someone quoting "reissue, re-package, re-package" within 10 minutes ;)
At some point I'll get this site added to morrissey-solo, shoplifters union and others, but at the moment by bandwidth couldn't handle 100 people downloading those shows at once.
[Profile] [PM]

dlgladwin

Post 23-Feb-2006 13:19 (after 24 minutes)

[Quote]

They'd also start a fight about whether it was Mike Joyce's fault or not!
[Profile] [PM]

akiraware

Post 22-Apr-2006 01:39 (after 1 month 26 days)

[Quote]

My fav is Thank Your Lucky Stars.
I like a lot Same Day Again and Girl Afraid.
[Profile] [PM]

MorningGlory123

Post 22-Apr-2006 05:31 (after 3 hours)

[Quote]

I would have to agree, Thank Your Lucky stars is consistantly the best :)
[Profile] [PM]

Mozalini

Post 29-Apr-2006 13:08 (after 7 days)

[Quote]

I don't have to many at the moment but i would say that I do like Thank Your Lucky Stars, however I also like From the one you left behind. I Know i'll be finding some people disagreeing with me on the latter point, but I shall not change my mind after all it isnt very often that you can here little children singing part of This Charming Man with Mozzer and Marr
[Profile] [PM]

DavidA ®

Post 30-Apr-2006 13:43 (after 1 day)

[Quote]

That Charming Man clip is from Charlie's Bus. I'll try and dig out the clip.
[Profile] [PM]

Mozalini

Post 30-Apr-2006 16:01 (after 2 hours 18 minutes)

[Quote]

I have that clip somewhere, honestly I can't believe how bored Morrissey looked at Kew Gardens whilst Johnny Marr actually seemed to enjoy himself. Am I correct in thinking that it is also Charlies Bus where Johnny and Sandie Shaw do Jeane?
[Profile] [PM]

DavidA ®

Post 30-Apr-2006 18:52 (after 2 hours 51 minute)

[Quote]

Yup. Same show. The whole thing is pretty weird.
[Profile] [PM]

Mozalini

Post 30-Apr-2006 18:57 (after 4 minutes)

[Quote]

I believe that it was also on Charlies Bus that within the group of children there was Elvis Costello's son and The Smiths were told not to make a big fuss of him.
[Profile] [PM]
Display posts:    
Reply to topic

Current time is: 20-Sep 16:36