faber and faber want morrissey autobiog

Reply to topic

ravenslament. ®

Longevity: 8 years 7 months

Post 02-Feb-2010 10:02

[Quote]

One of the most important figures in publishing has urged Morrissey to publish his autobiography.
Morrissey is one of British pop music's most iconic yet allusive figures. Through a twenty five year career the singer has released some seminal music, as well as caused numerous media storms with his outspoken views.
Recently the singer published a new short story which he claimed was taken from his autobiography. Focussing on the Moors Murderers, the story was praised by many as a fine example of prose.
Now one of the senior editors at Faber & Faber has published an open letter to Morrissey urging him to complete his autobiography. Lee Brackstone heads up the historic firm, whose catalogue includes seminal works by the poets TS Eliot and Ezra Pound.
Published by TheThoughtFox, the letter opens: "I have been trying to persuade you of the virtues and wisdom of this for some years now. You probably won’t remember".
"Our shelves groan and bulge and spill over under the weight of Ezra, Larkin, Hughes and Heaney. And that’s just the surface; deep as it may seem. We feel very strongly that you belong in this company," he explained.
"To me (and to many of my colleagues) you are already in this company. It would be the fulfilment of my most pressing and persistent publishing dream to see that 'ff' sewn into the spine of your Life. Just any other publisher won't do. You deserve Faber and the love we can give you. History demands it; destiny commands it."
The letter finished by adding: "Morrissey, the doors of our Georgian Bloomsbury-based publishing house are open to you wherever you may be: Rome, LA, Manchester."
article found at http://www.clashmusic.com/news/morrissey-urged-to-p...sh-autobiography
does any have the short strory mentioned above , it's the first time i've heard about it ?
[Profile] [PM]

XAVeRY

Longevity: 9 years 6 months

Post 02-Feb-2010 12:39 (after 2 hours 36 minutes)

[Quote]

Just for the sake of thread completion, I'll paste what Simon Goddard's Mozipedia says under the autobiography entry :
~~~
Morrissey has always maintained that he documents his life in his lyrics, yet as early as 1984 he was already being asked whether he'd ever write a memoir. By the late 90s, long after he'd established himself as an iconic figure in the history of British music and in the aftermath of the Smiths court case, he considered it unlikely. '[I'd] have to mention people I like to avoid', h mused, 'so I'll have to wait until they've passed away. Because it is not possible to portray an intelligent image of one's life without dragging in these people. So I'll wait.'
It was only during his prolonged absence at the turn of the millennium that he reconsidered. In 2002, he divulged that an autobiography 'has been offered by several [publishers] and I have actually started it. It's to set a multitude of records straight. Whether it reaches the shops, I don't know. There'd be so many injunctions, I'm sure. So many untruths have emerged around my name and my life - maybe we all feel that way, I don't know. But, yes, I've started it and it will be a fascinating thing to finish.'
Thereafter, enquiries on the subject provoked Morrissey's hyperbolic promises that it 'will bring England to its very foundations' and be 'volcanic...you ought to expect names, photos and fingerprints. Everything shall be revealed.' Appetites were further whetted when, in 2004, he told the BBC's Jonathan Ross he only had 'a few chapters left' to finish. Soon rumours of vast advances from major publishing houses began circulating on the internet, though the singer was quick to nip such speculation in the bud. 'I've agreed with myself to do it,' he said in 2006, '[but] I've never had any dialogue with a publisher.' The latter statement, of course, contradicted his previous remarks about being courted 'by several', as well as his admission that Faber & Faber had been in discussions with him to release a compendium of his lyrics ('I thought that was fantastic,' he told Radio 1, 'because they usually just have very established poets').
Looking towards the future, a Morrissey memoir is highly probable, although his doubts about the legal implications of its more candid revelations and character assassinations are likely to be the biggest bone of contention when it comes to inking a deal. Without question, one of the major 'wrongs' his autobiography will hope to 'right' is the 1996 court case and it's safe to predict a scandalously damning portrait of Smiths drummer Mike Joyce. Consequently, it may well be the case that a Morrissey autobiography will be the catalyst for a mini-industry of petty counter-claim memoirs.
~~~
[Profile] [PM]

ravenslament. ®

Longevity: 8 years 7 months

Post 03-Feb-2010 08:24 (after 19 hours)

[Quote]

thanx xavery a fitting conclusion .
[Profile] [PM]

SweetFA

Longevity: 11 years

Post 03-Feb-2010 08:31 (after 6 minutes)

[Quote]

Once the lawyers have finished with it there'll barely be 10 pages left!
[Profile] [PM]
Display posts:    
Reply to topic

Current time is: 18-Nov 06:35