no one here gets out alive

Reply to topic

pierrot the clown ®

Longevity: 7 years 1 month

Post 17-Aug-2010 01:19

[Quote]

i love the smiths but can't get into any of morrissey's solo songs.
andy's basslines give me butterflies and johnny's riffs make me want to dance.
morrissey doesn't even sing as catchy as he has in the smiths.
anyone feel the same?
[Profile] [PM]

ravenslament.

Longevity: 8 years 5 months

Post 17-Aug-2010 06:34 (after 5 hours)

[Quote]

no
[Profile] [PM]

DavidA

Longevity: 11 years

Post 19-Aug-2010 19:32 (after 2 days 12 hours)

[Quote]

Yes. I never really took to Morrissey solo.
[Profile] [PM]

SweetFA

Post 19-Aug-2010 22:12 (after 2 hours 40 minutes)

[Quote]

"Viva Hate", "Southpaw Grammar", and "Vauxhall & I" are very very good.
It used to be only "Viva Hate" that i liked until i got tickets to see him live last year and decided to get hold of all the albums i'd ignored, i was pleasantly surprised.
[Profile] [PM]

ravenslament.

Post 20-Aug-2010 06:53 (after 8 hours)

[Quote]

as with most artists there are trax that are excellent then there are trax that you cringe at and think why , but to me there will always be the legend that is the smiths . morrissey has produce some excellent trax (to many too list) . without standing on anyone's toes , could a lot of smiths fans be a little resentful that the smiths split and that because of this they didn't/don't want to give morrissey's solo material a try . i think , like sweet fa , if they give some of his albums a try they will be pleasantly surprised . viva la moz
[Profile] [PM]

SweetFA

Post 20-Aug-2010 21:10 (after 14 hours)

[Quote]

as with most artists there are trax that are excellent then there are trax that you cringe at and think why , but to me there will always be the legend that is the smiths . morrissey has produce some excellent trax (to many too list) . without standing on anyone's toes , could a lot of smiths fans be a little resentful that the smiths split and that because of this they didn't/don't want to give morrissey's solo material a try . i think , like sweet fa , if they give some of his albums a try they will be pleasantly surprised . viva la moz
Thing with me is i was 13 when i first heard Louder Than Bombs, summer of 88.
I listened to the other Smiths albums, Viva Hate, and heard those cracking first two solo singles.
Then things went a bit downhill with him, after International Playboys and Interesting Drug.
The downward slide continued and by We Hate It When Our Friends Become Successful i'd given up on him, got bored of buying singles that i'd play a couple of times only, especially with some great music being made elsewhere.
The singles that i heard on the radio after that didn't sound great ".... Fatty" in particular was embarrassing.
So i had a period of about 15 years where i listened to The Smiths but not Morrissey, apart from Viva Hate.
I still think Kill Uncle is bad and don't own Your Arsenal at all.
[Profile] [PM]

ravenslament.

Post 21-Aug-2010 06:30 (after 9 hours)

[Quote]

agree with you on kill uncle , i found it as some sort of filler album to keep the record company happy . with the exception of three trax (i know its gonna happen someday , certain people i know and tomorrow) i thought your arsenal was a great disappointment and was completely embarrassed and disappointed about the national front disco . even if morrissey says it was seen from a third party perspective to write a track like that is going to breed controversy . i personally had no doubt about morrissey's political leanings (irish blood ...) but at the time was sick to death of defending morrissey because of this track especially as my stance is against any sort of racism or prejudice against any person of any religion , creed , ethnicity or gender .
i have to admit myself that after vauxhall .. i lost my way as a morrissey fan i never bought southpaw or malajusted until about 2002/03 , but still listened to the smiths and viva hate /bona drag . it wasn't until ..quarry and the manchester birthday gig 2004 that my love of morrissey was reignited . since then i think the last three albums have been really good with some really excellent trax . so maybe i was a bit hasty in the first instance to just say 'no' , sitting down and rethinking about it i would say that without including the compilations , a few album trax and live albums morrissey has made four really decent albums these being viva hate , you are the quarry , ring leader of the tormentors and years of refusal .
lets hope the next album is in the same vain has the last three albums and doesn't disappoint until then i'm waiting for the reissues of everyday is like sunday and bona drag (which i recommended to a friend to become accustomed to morrissey's early solo material).
[Profile] [PM]
Display posts:    
Reply to topic

Current time is: 26-Sep 00:19