A great solution for storing your recordings

Reply to topic

DavidA ®

Longevity: 11 years

Post 05-Jan-2011 22:13

[Quote]

I know there's similar topics in this forum, but I thought I'd start a new one.
I decided that I wanted to store my recordings on a separate hard drive. I know other people have done the same. Rather than just buying a regular hard drive, I bought a LinkStation NAS drive. This is basically the same as a portable drive, but you can connect it to your network so that any of the computers in your house can use it. If you don't have a network, then it will plug into your router.
The reason I wanted to mention it here is that the LinkStation drives include a torrent downloader. It has uTorrent built in. It means that you can simply start a download and then turn off your computer and come back to find it finished later. More importantly to me, it means that you're constantly seeding the recordings here. Despite thousands of downloads here, it's sometimes disappointing to see only a few people seeding for other people to download. I realise that a lot of people aren't in a position to constantly seed, but perhaps when you come to buy your next external drive you would consider a LinkStation and just leave it up and running. Torrents are much easier to keep up and running when they're on a separate drive.
Mine sits quietly under my stairs, seeding 300 recordings from this site. See? It's quiet, it doesn't use much power and it's actually really good. $100 for 1TB isn't expensive either.
Here's a link to it on Amazon.
Here's what it looks like.

This is what the torrent interface looks like. Notice that it's running in a web browser.

Last edited by DavidA on 2011-01-11 15:32; edited 1 time in total
[Profile] [PM]

SweetFA

Post 06-Jan-2011 01:00 (after 2 hours 46 minutes)

[Quote]

Someone a big Gordon Ramsay fan then?
[Profile] [PM]

DavidA ®

Post 06-Jan-2011 08:00 (after 7 hours)

[Quote]

Haha. Not my screenshot. I just found it.
[Profile] [PM]

SweetFA

Post 06-Jan-2011 16:10 (after 8 hours)

[Quote]

Haha. Not my screenshot. I just found it.
:D
[Profile] [PM]

desperate_one

Longevity: 8 years

Post 09-Jan-2011 16:47 (after 3 days)

[Quote]

Mine sits quietly under my stairs, seeding 300 recordings from this site. See?
Well,i expected a pic from under your stairs,but this is more enlightening. :wink:
I saw a similar thread here before when i was looking for a new HDD,but it wasn't available for an acceptable price.
So i invest my money in an external 2,5" HDD to backup all torrents.(the next crash is certain to come...)
This one looks nice anyway.
[Profile] [PM]

angryelvis

Post 25-Jan-2011 01:29 (after 15 days)

[Quote]

Nice but you are still at risk for hardware failure and don't have any expandability. I use a HP MediaSmart Windows Home Server. Looks nice enough that I don't have to hide it under my stairs. :) Most importantly, it has 4 bays that you can swap drives in to expand your storage. It will share music for iTunes, has video sharing that is detected by an Xbox 360 or any windows computers. It will even collect media from your pcs and back the pc up. If you use a Mac you can configure it for Time Machine support. Looking for a crazy feature? It will automatically convert VOB files so you can stream them for viewing. I installed PlayOn on it and I can stream video (personal and/or Hulu, Comedy Central...), pictures, and music from it to my iPhone.
Having said all that, the bad news is that HP is actually discontinuing this fantastic product. Despite that I still bought a new one this Christmas (I originally was using a first gen product, about 4 years old). It remains my favorite windows product.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Delectronics&field-keywords=mediasmart+home+server
Don't forget the importance of offsite storage. I back my files up to external drives once a month and keep them in my desk at work. I'm also planning to start using Carbonite which offers unlimited storage for $60 a year.
[Profile] [PM]

DavidA ®

Post 25-Jan-2011 07:53 (after 6 hours)

[Quote]

I have a 8TB Drobo under my stairs too, but the main reason I mentioned the Linkstation was that it has an integrated torrent client, which would help to seed on this site. Not enough people seed :(
[Profile] [PM]

angryelvis

Post 25-Jan-2011 11:16 (after 3 hours)

[Quote]

Nice feature for seeding. I believe there is a uTorrent plugin for windows home server. Can't speak for others but I don't seed for long periods because I don't want to risk the attention of my isp.
[Profile] [PM]

SweetFA

Post 25-Jan-2011 13:11 (after 1 hour 54 minutes)

[Quote]

I just seed on request these days, my ISP (BT) isn't brilliant in terms of speed.
Rather than having my desktop guzzling power all day i copy the requested torrent to my netbook and seed from there.
I keep a look out for anyone asking for seeders in the threads.
[Profile] [PM]

smorrissey

Post 24-Apr-2011 22:49 (after 2 months 30 days)

[Quote]

Nice drive but i should add that if you have everything stored in one Hard Drive you may one day lose it all......i know many many people who have lost their collections.
I haver everything on 4.5 DVD's but right know the media is not enough, 8GB DVD's are expensive, HD's are prone to failure and bluray discs pretty expensive.... well......
[Profile] [PM]

DavidA ®

Post 24-Apr-2011 23:20 (after 31 minute)

[Quote]

My solution was to send a backup of my hard disk all over the world on a hard drive tour, but that didn't end so well.
[Profile] [PM]
Display posts:    
Reply to topic

Current time is: 21-Nov 15:39