Synching Audio and Video

Reply to topic

modrevolve ®

Longevity: 9 years

Post 01-Feb-2011 16:15

[Quote]

This isn't a torrent question really..but I know some of you guys have overdubbed better audio recordings on to Morrissey videos. My problem is I'm trying to dump audio onto a video using the IMovie program.
At first everything syncs up just fine but as the video goes further on say two minutes or so into the video, the better audio drags slightly making it out of sync with the video. Does anyone have a solution to this problem?
[Profile] [PM]

DavidA

Longevity: 11 years

Post 01-Feb-2011 19:02 (after 2 hours 47 minutes)

[Quote]

Mac or PC? Either way, I think better software will avoid the dragging you describe. Other people here have more experience than me of re-dubbing videos, so I'll let them answer.
[Profile] [PM]

modrevolve ®

Post 01-Feb-2011 19:11 (after 9 minutes)

[Quote]

I have a Mac and I am using the newest version of IMovie.
[Profile] [PM]

steve

Post 01-Feb-2011 20:07 (after 55 minutes)

[Quote]

really depends on what the source of the video and audio is. If either or both are from analog sources at any stage, its almost certain that they are running at different speeds. Not only that, but at varying different speeds. In that case you need something that does timestretching, and lots of patience.
If they're both from digital sources, you should just have to timestretch the whole audio to fit the video. Not sure about iMovie ... but you can do this in garageband I think.
[Profile] [PM]

modrevolve ®

Post 01-Feb-2011 20:21 (after 14 minutes)

[Quote]

Thanks for the reply Steve..I am trying to dump an audio recording that I got from a cassette tape onto a video from a VHS tape whose audio is very soft. I'll mess around with time stretching and see what I can come up with.
[Profile] [PM]

DavidA

Post 01-Feb-2011 23:39 (after 3 hours)

[Quote]

What software is best for re-dubbing a video from another analog source?
[Profile] [PM]

Demian

Post 02-Feb-2011 08:28 (after 8 hours)

[Quote]

I recommend VirtualDub or VirtualDubMod (on a Windows-PC)
[Profile] [PM]

steve

Post 02-Feb-2011 12:54 (after 4 hours)

[Quote]

if you're working with cassette and VHS its a very tricky job.
the way I do it is to treat the video as the master.
Then chop the audio into separate songs. You may need to do smaller chunks than this, especially if your VHS or cassette is not a master copy. The more generations down you go, the greater the variations in speed, the smaller chunks you'll need.
Line up the start of the song audio with the video sound. Timestretch the audio until it matches at the end of the song. Check that it plays through in sync. If it gets too out of sync in the middle, you'll need smaller chunks.
Repeat until everything sounds correct.
The best software I've found for this is Sony Vegas. This allows you to timestretch the audio by dragging one end of the audio clip, which makes it very quick and easy to get the speed almost correct ... and then fine tuning is easy. But its Windows only.
On the mac I use Final Cut Pro. In that you have to enter a % value to timestretch, so either you get your calculator out, or its trial an error until its correct. I would imagine that iMovie is similar if it does timestretching.
Its not a quick process.
[Profile] [PM]
Display posts:    
Reply to topic

Current time is: 19-Oct 19:53