Suggestion for Tate core sessions upgrade

Reply to topic

savbomb ®

Longevity: 5 years 2 months

Post 13-Jul-2012 00:20

[Quote]

I used to have a vinyl copy of the Tate core sessions (11 tracks, or 9 discounting the two that are now officially released) called "The Hand That Rocked the Cradle". But I sold it for £40, which felt like a good deal at the time (less so now). Before I sold it, I taped it and the tape seems to be quite a significant upgrade on what is presently available here, if I correct the speed and tart it up a bit.
However, the lineage is something like this:
Vinyl bootleg > cheap teenage bedroom hi-fi from Argos that I can't remember the make of > BASF ferrous cassette > 20 years passage of time > cheap Philips radio cassette player bought in 1996 (I don't generally do tapes anymore) > Audacity > your ears (potentially)
My suggestion is that someone who has good equipment for doing a vinyl rip get hold of the LP version. Better still, if someone was able to do a job on it similar to what has been done on the Outtakes bootleg, I think the results would be only very slightly behind. I checked today on eBay and there is one up.
Just a suggestion but, may I venture, a very good one.
[Profile] [PM]

savbomb ®

Post 13-Jul-2012 01:51 (after 1 hour 30 minutes)

[Quote]

Rapid retraction: I'm listening to the recordings side by side right now and "significant upgrade" may be a bit exaggerated. Or possibly just plain wrong. A vinyl rip probably would be an upgrade, but I can't be 100%. I hope no-one placed a bid :oops: .
[Profile] [PM]

DavidA

Longevity: 11 years

Post 13-Jul-2012 16:58 (after 15 hours)

[Quote]

I have it on vinyl. Offhand (and without PJLM) I forget which versions it was. I don't have a good record player but if we were sure it was an upgrade I'd be happy to send it to someone.
[Profile] [PM]

savbomb ®

Post 14-Jul-2012 20:45 (after 1 day 3 hours)

[Quote]

To be maybe a little bit clearer, I may have raised a bit of a false alarm. When I listened to the two side by side, the quality on my tape was not as good as the CD rip that has already been seeded. However, at the end of the tape, I had recorded part of "I Know Very Well How..." which would have been from official vinyl (presumably to fill the idle space on the cassette). This gives me an idea of the degree of degradation in transfer that has occurred, and it seems to me *possible* that a rip straight from vinyl might constitute an upgrade. But I am very much guessing.
A happy side-product is that, because my tape contains "Pretty Girls", I have been able to compare to the official CD version and work out the exact speed that Tate 1 should run at. The version uploaded seems massively out, so I'm thinking about doing an upgrade just by correcting the speed.
Regarding your vinyl - why not dip your toe by doing a 30-second rip and comparing it for yourself to what has been seeded?
[Profile] [PM]

SweetFA

Post 15-Jul-2012 12:27 (after 15 hours)

[Quote]

IIRC Pretty Girls was officially released as a b-side before Tate I appeared on bootlegs, I believe some boots took it straight from the official release.
[Profile] [PM]

savbomb ®

Post 15-Jul-2012 14:46 (after 2 hours 19 minutes)

[Quote]

That's certainly possible in this case, because the speed of RATF and Pretty Girls on my tape do not match.
[Profile] [PM]

Oso Blanco

Post 24-Jul-2012 18:05 (after 9 days)

[Quote]

Speaking of Reel Around The Fountain ... how did it end up as a digital download? Intention or accident? Anyway, that must mean they did dig out the old Troy Tate masters while working on "Complete". Maybe they will give us the whole thing one day!
[Profile] [PM]

savbomb ®

Post 25-Jul-2012 14:48 (after 20 hours)

[Quote]

That version was originally going to be the second single, but it was pulled because of a story in the press linking it to paedophilia (basically meaning it was likely to get no airplay). The deluxe version of the Complete boxset included a pressing of this unreleased single. That was probably sailing close to the wind in terms of what they were allowed to do without Morrissey's permission, so it was done without drawing attention to it at first (my interpretation).
[Profile] [PM]

SweetFA

Post 26-Jul-2012 13:36 (after 22 hours)

[Quote]

Speaking of Reel Around The Fountain ... how did it end up as a digital download? Intention or accident? Anyway, that must mean they did dig out the old Troy Tate masters while working on "Complete". Maybe they will give us the whole thing one day!
Didn't know it was available on digital download, just got it for 89p off Amazon - thanks.
It's exactly the same take as the one off that Demos & Outtakes bootleg presumably just in better quality?
[Profile] [PM]

Oso Blanco

Post 27-Jul-2012 18:48 (after 1 day 5 hours)

[Quote]

It's exactly the same take as the one off that Demos & Outtakes bootleg presumably just in better quality?
I would say so, yes.
[Profile] [PM]
Display posts:    
Reply to topic

Current time is: 19-Aug 18:26