Early Rarities

Reply to topic

DavidA ®

Longevity: 12 years

Post 20-Mar-2013 21:55

[Quote]

Since there's some buzz around the Troy Tate rehearsal tape I figured I'd write what I know about some of those early recordings. Corrections and additions welcome.
    May 1982. Morrissey and Marr meet.
    May 1982. Marr's Attic. Don't Blow Your Own Horn, The Hand That Rocks the Cradle, Suffer Little Children. Recorded on TEAC three track.
    August 1982. Marr's Attic. I Want A Boy For My Birthday. Recorded on TEAC three track. The cassette is in the hands of some collectors. 30 second clip here.
    August 1982. Decibelle Studios. The Hand That Rocks The Cradle, Suffer Little Children. Studio quality. Presented to Factory and EMI to try and get a record deal. The master tape is in the hands of a collector. Mixes and individual tracks have been put onto CD but not yet distributed. An 3:26 edit of of Suffer Little Children has been released. More info here.
    October 1982. First gig. Manchester Ritz. The Hand That Rocks the Cradle, Suffer Little Children, Handsome Devil, I Want A Boy For My Birthday. No known recordings.
    December 1982. Crazy Face Warehouse rehearsal. Matter of Opinion. Mike Joyce has a copy of this as mentioned in Songs That Saved Your Life.
    December 1982. Drone Studios, Manchester. Paid for by EMI. What Difference Does It Make, Handsome Devil, Miserable Lie. No known recordings in circulation.
    February 1983. Third gig. Hacienda. Includes What Do You See In Him. Available here.
    February 1983. Strawberry Studios, Manchester. Hand in Glove. Released as a single in May 1983.
    March 1983, Marr and Rourke go to London and play Geoff Travis the Drone demos. Two days later Geoff agrees to sign Hand in Gloveas a single.
    May 1983. Crazy Face Warehouse, Manchester. Rehearsal for Troy Tate, AKA Pablo Cuckoo. Cassette. Available here.
    May 1983. Maida Vale Studios, London. John Peel Session #1. Handsome Devil, Reel Around the Fountain, Miserable Lie, What Difference Does It Make?All officially released.
    June 1983. Maida Vale Studios, London. David Jensen Session #1. These Things Take Time, You've Got Everything Now, Wonderful Woman. All officially released except Wonderful Woman.
    July-August 1983. Elephant Studios, London. The Troy Tate album. Various monitor mixes of these sessions have been leaked, the best of which is this onethat Soundsville Paul took from Troy Tate's final recording.
    Later 1983. Unknown. Rough Trade remix of the Troy Tate sessions. Jeane, Reel Around the Fountain, Pretty Girls Make Graves officially released. Seems that Stephane has a full set.[/list:u]Mentioned in A Light That Never Goes Out is that Nick Hobbs received a demo tape from Ollie May. I guess this would be around March 1983.

Last edited by DavidA on 2013-03-20 22:14; edited 1 time in total
[Profile] [PM]

SweetFA

Post 20-Mar-2013 22:10 (after 14 minutes)

[Quote]

Isn't an edited version of the Suffer Little Children Decibelle Studio demo in circulation, or is it a different recording?
Edited but still much more than just 30 seconds, 3'26 in the mp3 I have.
[Profile] [PM]

DavidA ®

Post 20-Mar-2013 22:12 (after 2 minutes)

[Quote]

You're quite right. Now corrected.
[Profile] [PM]

savbomb

Longevity: 5 years 11 months

Post 21-Mar-2013 20:58 (after 22 hours)

[Quote]

The Brixton Ace gig that was videoed and use as a demo is within this timeframe (June 29 83).
I have a pet theory that the recording of HIG got put out on the TIALTNGO single (credited as being from the December 86 gig at Brixton Academy) because someone came across a reel with "Hand In Glove, Brixton Ace" written on it and thought that this meant the recording had been handily pre-assessed for quality.
[Profile] [PM]

DavidA ®

Post 21-Mar-2013 22:54 (after 1 hour 55 minutes)

[Quote]

Hrhr. I didn't even know about the mis-labelling until I checked my sleeve.
Presumably there's a soundboard of that June 29th 1983 gig somewhere.
[Profile] [PM]

SweetFA

Post 22-Mar-2013 09:56 (after 11 hours)

[Quote]

The Brixton Ace gig that was videoed and use as a demo is within this timeframe (June 29 83).
I have a pet theory that the recording of HIG got put out on the TIALTNGO single (credited as being from the December 86 gig at Brixton Academy) because someone came across a reel with "Hand In Glove, Brixton Ace" written on it and thought that this meant the recording had been handily pre-assessed for quality.
:lol:
Hadn't taken much notice of that live b-side or its origin, that sounds very plausible though!
[Profile] [PM]

hipsterdisco

Longevity: 7 years 3 months

Post 11-Oct-2014 15:23 (after 1 year 6 months)

[Quote]

This was posted on http://johnnymarrvellous.tumblr.com/ awhile back.
It seems to have flown under The radar, or it could just be me not paying attention

it's described as an early 'Set List' written by Johnny.M, But it appears (to me) to be him working out some early chords ?
[Profile] [PM]

Cover Star

Longevity: 5 years

Post 11-Oct-2014 16:22 (after 59 minutes)

[Quote]

Yes, that would be right.
'The Hand That Rocks The Cradle' has the same chord progression as 'Kimberly' by Patti Smith.
[Profile] [PM]
Display posts:    
Reply to topic

Current time is: 27-May 09:53