1983 Rough Trade Demos

Go to page :  1, 2  Next

Reply to topic

batnaMMV ®

Longevity: 11 years

Post 02-Sep-2006 11:56

[Quote]

Following on from Rob's up of the rare Troy Tate tracks, I have these set of demos to share. They were added on a bootleg of the Birmingham Fighting Cocks Gig from 3rd June 1983 (this has already been uploaded here twice; once by itself, and secondly on the "Reel Around The Fountain" bootleg so has not been included here). Quality is not very good I'm afraid and it is difficult at times to work which versions of the tracks these are and the sessions they came from. Comments and more info about these demos are needed if anybody has any :? .
Excerpt from original info file:
I have included these demos as an optional filler, i am told these are
"demos for rough trade" and not Troy tate, but who knows!
I recived them on cassette that is 20 years old, any info is
apreciated Enjoy!!
Demos for rough trade
Trade on ANA>adobe audition>CD>EAC>FLAC
10 Jeane
11 The hand that rocks the cradle
12 You've got everything now
13 These things take time
14 What diffrence does it make?
15 Hand in glove
16 Handsome devil
17 Accept yourself
18 Reel around the fountain
19 I dont owe you anything
20 Miserable lie
[Profile] [PM]

SweetFA

Post 03-Sep-2006 06:51 (after 18 hours)

[Quote]

Although the sound quality isn't great after a quick listen to them they do sound remarkably like the versions in the Troy Tate "demos".
Has anyone spotted anything new?
/EDIT: I may have been a bit hasty, the version of Jeane is definitely different to the Troy Tate one, no backing vocals for a start.
They are indeed different versions, i wonder at what point these were recorded...
Presumably before Troy Tate and genuinely recorded as demos rather than being intended to be released as an album.
Hopefully a better quality copy of these will appear in the not too distant future.
[Profile] [PM]

batnaMMV ®

Post 03-Sep-2006 15:05 (after 8 hours)

[Quote]

Good spot Sweet FA about Jeane, I had suspected it was a bit different but couldn't think of a specific reason. Also is the intro shorter, or has the tape missed of the beginning of the song?
After listening to the rare mix I think a lot of those tracks are included here in vastly inferior quality; namely The Hand That Rocks The Cradle, Accept Yourself, Reel Around The Fountain, Handsome Devil, Miserable Lie, You've Got Everything Now, Hand In Glove, I Don't Owe You Anything.
I'm not sure about What Difference Does It Make, is it the version of the "core" sessions or another version? Certainly no fancy sound effects on this track as opposed to the "core" version. I think These Things Take Time is the "core" version included on many bootlegs.
[Profile] [PM]

SweetFA

Post 03-Sep-2006 15:21 (after 15 minutes)

[Quote]

Good spot Sweet FA about Jeane, I had suspected it was a bit different but couldn't think of a specific reason. Also is the intro shorter, or has the tape missed of the beginning of the song?
After listening to the rare mix I think a lot of those tracks are included here in vastly inferior quality; namely The Hand That Rocks The Cradle, Accept Yourself, Reel Around The Fountain, Handsome Devil, Miserable Lie, You've Got Everything Now, Hand In Glove, I Don't Owe You Anything.
I'm not sure about What Difference Does It Make, is it the version of the "core" sessions or another version? Certainly no fancy sound effects on this track as opposed to the "core" version. I think These Things Take Time is the "core" version included on many bootlegs.
It's hard to say really given the limitations of the quality of the recording but these almost seem like they could be the core from the Troy Tate demos but without any tidying up or overdubs added.
Certainly Jeane gives me that impression.
I'm struggling to spot any different nuances in Morrissey's delivery or differences musically that couldn't be explained away by the quality of the copy.
Do you think it could be the case that they recorded these demos (with or without Tate) and added overdubs to them and experimented with them with Tate and that became the "core" and then later on re-recorded from scratch the songs which form the rare mix? Just a suggestion.
Obviously some tracks from the "core" aren't in this set, "Suffer Little Children", "These Things Take Time" and "Wonderful Woman" and "Pretty Girls Make Graves" are 4 that spring to mind but that doesn't mean they don't exist somewhere i suppose.
[Profile] [PM]

batnaMMV ®

Post 03-Sep-2006 18:53 (after 3 hours)

[Quote]

It's hard to say really given the limitations of the quality of the recording but these almost seem like they could be the core from the Troy Tate demos but without any tidying up or overdubs added.
Certainly Jeane gives me that impression.
I'm struggling to spot any different nuances in Morrissey's delivery or differences musically that couldn't be explained away by the quality of the copy.
Do you think it could be the case that they recorded these demos (with or without Tate) and added overdubs to them and experimented with them with Tate and that became the "core" and then later on re-recorded from scratch the songs which form the rare mix? Just a suggestion.
Obviously some tracks from the "core" aren't in this set, "Suffer Little Children", "These Things Take Time" and "Wonderful Woman" and "Pretty Girls Make Graves" are 4 that spring to mind but that doesn't mean they don't exist somewhere i suppose.
Interesting, that could also apply to What Difference Does It Make on here, with the overdubs added to the "core" version. Those 2 tracks in particular seem like stripped down versions of the "core" versions so it is certainly possible.
[Profile] [PM]

shelfcompact

Post 04-Sep-2006 04:22 (after 9 hours)

[Quote]

Ohhhhhh sooooo many versions....
We need to create an official page just dedicated to all the different versions of the Troy Tate/Rough Trade demos circulating.
Could anyone help seed the lone seeder please?
Thanks to you all for uploading these treasures. I need to figure them all out myself.
[Profile] [PM]

DavidA

Post 10-Sep-2006 20:57 (after 6 days)

[Quote]

If anyone has any more thoughts on this version, please add them to this thread. The multiple message threads are getting out of hand. Thanks!
[Profile] [PM]

restless

Post 09-Oct-2006 00:02 (after 28 days)

[Quote]

i uploaded these to DIME...
I was told that from the guy that sent me the tape that he got them back in teh 80's of some girl from manchester...
They are not the troy tate demos
[Profile] [PM]

SweetFA

Post 09-Oct-2006 09:16 (after 9 hours)

[Quote]

i uploaded these to DIME...
I was told that from the guy that sent me the tape that he got them back in teh 80's of some girl from manchester...
They are not the troy tate demos
Are they better quality than the recordings posted here?
DIME isn't taking on new accounts so if they are any better it'd be nice if they were available here.
[Profile] [PM]

DavidA

Post 09-Oct-2006 21:04 (after 11 hours)

[Quote]

Lastgang has a great quality version of these demos and is in the process of making them flacs.
[Profile] [PM]

SweetFA

Post 09-Oct-2006 22:13 (after 1 hour 8 minutes)

[Quote]

Lastgang has a great quality version of these demos and is in the process of making them flacs.
That'll be great :D
[Profile] [PM]

racer

Post 30-Dec-2006 09:45 (after 2 months 20 days)

[Quote]

anyone still have this one around to seed please? i'm almost there....
tks
roger
[Profile] [PM]

DavidA

Post 30-Dec-2006 13:32 (after 3 hours)

[Quote]

I have lastgang's better quality version which I'm going to upload some time soon.
[Profile] [PM]

racer

Post 30-Dec-2006 13:56 (after 23 minutes)

[Quote]

aah good.... i'll wait patiently!
[Profile] [PM]

anovella

Post 09-Apr-2007 06:10 (after 3 months 9 days)

[Quote]

Thanks for the rough trade demos
[Profile] [PM]
Display posts:    
Reply to topic

Current time is: 18-Nov 23:25