Ticket Sub Mystery - Please help

Go to page :  1, 2  Next

Reply to topic

DavidA ®

Longevity: 13 years

Post 31-Aug-2013 00:16

[Quote]

I save ticket stubs when they show up on ebay. Here are some that I haven't been able to sort. Mostly they're cancellations but I'm not 100% sure. e.g. the Mesa date - is PJLM wrong?
Your detective work would be appreciated.
http://imgur.com/a/TDXjz
[Profile] [PM]

waterisnat

Post 31-Aug-2013 19:38 (after 19 hours)

[Quote]

Cool, I love games like this!
The font used for "THE SMITHS" on the Birmingham ticket is that used for the Meat Is Murder tour. Unless there was another gig in that city, it must have been for the Hippodrome gig on March 17th.
The ticket for the Spanish gig mentions Sunday, May 19th; the venue indicated is the Polideportivo Anoeta. The concert is promoted by Radio San Sebastian. Lo and behold, there is a sports stadium annex concert venue called Anoeta in the city of San Sebastian: http://www.estadioanoeta.com/index3.html.
Since the mini discography given on the back of one of the yellow tickets includes Shakespeare's Sister & Meat Is Murder the year must be 1985. Sunday, May 19th 1985 corresponds with the day after the Madrid concert on the 18th of May.
The Belfast ticket from 1986 was originally printed for January 29th, a Wednesday; eventually the gig was played exactly two weeks later, on February 12th - also a Wednesday!
The Dublin ticket from 1986 was originally intended for Monday, the 3rd of February; eventually the concert was performed one week later, on Monday, the 10th of February. Clearly, that mini tour's itinerary was rescheduled rather late in the preparations.
A concert at the Mesa Amphitheatre in Arizona on August 30th is missing from the chronology at PassionsJustLikeMine, but the date & location fit rather well after a concert in San Diego, CA on the 29th of August. Johnny Rogan has an entry for a concert at the MESA Amphitheater in Phoenix, Arizona on August 31th. Now Mesa is located in the vicinity of Phoenix, but I'm not sure whether it is part of that city. So, maybe there were two gigs in Arizona on consecutive dates, or else Johnny Rogan's date & location are inaccurate. Given the closeness of Mesa and Phoenix I think the former option is unlikely.
The Anti-Apartheid gig at Brixton Academy that would prove to be the final live performance by the band was actually postponed from November 14th, when it was due at the Royal Albert Hall. That concert was cancelled at the last minute on the day as a result of Johnny Marr's injuries suffered in the car accident earlier the same week.

Last edited by waterisnat on 2013-09-01 16:02; edited 2 times in total
[Profile] [PM]

savbomb

Longevity: 7 years

Post 01-Sep-2013 12:00 (after 16 hours)

[Quote]

The San Sebastian tickets are muy interesante.
The Smiths didn't play many European gigs and this is a new one on me. Not only that, but it's probably more than likely that a gig sponsored by a radio station would have also been recorded for broadcast. Assuming the concert actually happened, of course.
[Profile] [PM]

DavidA ®

Post 23-Sep-2013 12:22 (after 22 days)

[Quote]

Just realised that I never came back to this thread. Thanks both!
Birmingham? Yes.
Spanish May 19th. They didn't play this. Was it cancelled? http://www.passionsjustlikemine.com/live/smiths-gi8505.htm
Belfast? Yes.
Mesa. Arizona? So did they play on the Aug 30 and Aug 31? PJLM says no and I'd believe that over Rogan. Goddard says they played Mesa on the 31st. Which is it? Someone's wrong!
Royal Albert Hall. Are you saying that the Anti Apartheid gig was moved to the Brixton Academy for 1986-12-12?
[Profile] [PM]

ScottyMoz

Longevity: 7 years 6 months

Post 26-Sep-2013 12:53 (after 3 days)

[Quote]

This is a really great thread and I have some I can add if you want. How do you upload?
Perhaps if anyone has setlists then those can be added too.
[Profile] [PM]

the Flea

Post 26-Sep-2013 13:35 (after 41 minute)

[Quote]

Use the "Post Reply" button at the bottom of the thread, not the already open Quick Reply, and you have the ability to add pictures from your computer via the Browse button
[Profile] [PM]

savbomb

Post 19-Oct-2013 12:42 (after 22 days)

[Quote]

This ticket for San Sebastian is hole-punched
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/THE-SMITHS-1985-CONCERT-TICKET-SPAIN-MORRISSEY-JOHNNY-MARR-/261307057897?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cd71d46e9
Which suggests that the gig did happen. Unless it was cancelled after the audience had arrived.
[Profile] [PM]

DavidA ®

Post 19-Oct-2013 13:24 (after 41 minute)

[Quote]

This is a really great thread and I have some I can add if you want. How do you upload?
Perhaps if anyone has setlists then those can be added too.
I'm using imgur.com. Although feel free to PM me and you can send them via e-mail.
[Profile] [PM]

DavidA ®

Post 19-Oct-2013 19:27 (after 6 hours)

[Quote]

This ticket for San Sebastian is hole-punched which suggests that the gig did happen. Unless it was cancelled after the audience had arrived.
It did and you remastered it.
http://smithstorrents.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=4333
Although the date doesn't quite match.
[Profile] [PM]

savbomb

Post 20-Oct-2013 10:30 (after 15 hours)

[Quote]

Date doesn't quite match = different gig.
The venue on the ticket is here, a long way from Madrid, but it's not normally listed in gigographies.
[Profile] [PM]

DavidA ®

Post 20-Oct-2013 12:42 (after 2 hours 12 minutes)

[Quote]

I'm pretty sure Stephane wouldn't have it incorrectly.
http://www.passionsjustlikemine.com/live/smiths-gi8505.htm
[Profile] [PM]

savbomb

Post 20-Oct-2013 20:16 (after 7 hours)

[Quote]

Either he does or there's some other explanation for the ticket, I guess.
[Profile] [PM]

pjlm

Post 21-Oct-2013 22:21 (after 1 day 2 hours)

[Quote]

I've amended "Passions Just Like Mine" with all info, corrections and speculations about these.
St├ęphane
[Profile] [PM]

DavidA ®

Post 21-Oct-2013 22:32 (after 10 minutes)

[Quote]

Stephane, I don't see that. Has it gone live yet?
Incidentally, Rogan and Goddard both have it as the 18th.
[Profile] [PM]

pjlm

Post 23-Oct-2013 21:34 (after 1 day 23 hours)

[Quote]

Stephane, I don't see that. Has it gone live yet?
Incidentally, Rogan and Goddard both have it as the 18th.
I think the San Sebastian concert was an additional planned one that got cancelled. My speculation is expressed in the notes at the top of the general page of that leg of the tour.
Stephane
[Profile] [PM]
Display posts:    
Reply to topic

Current time is: 19-Jun 11:02