Liverpool "With Love From Manchester" remaster

Reply to topic

savbomb ®

Longevity: 7 years 5 months

Post 01-Oct-2013 16:11

[Quote]

I've been doing some work on a remaster of the Militant Tendency benefit gig from 1986 and there are a few preview MP3s below. OK, I'll admit that I'm doing this on the one hand to show off and drum up interest in hearing the finished version. But there's also a question below. I want people to listen before answering the question so (if I've worked out how to do it properly) it should only show if you highlight it. Please listen to the files before you read the question.
If you have a reply, please post it in the same way, by putting [code:1] [color=#EFEFEF][/code:1] before your answer and [code:1] [/color][/code:1] after your answer (so as not to give the game away to other people who read the thread).
Each file starts with the "before" version and switches to the "after" version partway through.
Meat Is Murder
William
I Want The One
Bigmouth
It's quite hard when EQ-ing a recording to know how much bass is best. My question is: while listening to the files, did it occur to you that the remastered version might be too bassy?
The question is immediately above this line. Thanks in advance for responding.
ETA: As noted by The Flea below, it's actually a little more complicated - you have to predict which of the two colours used by the forum your post will come up as, and if it's the blue-grey colour you need to put [code:1][color=#dee3e7][/code:1] at the start of your comment.

Last edited by savbomb on 2013-10-02 10:17; edited 1 time in total
[Profile] [PM]

DavidA

Longevity: 13 years

Post 01-Oct-2013 20:20 (after 4 hours)

[Quote]

I'm having real problems downloading those files. Could you use Dropbox?
[Profile] [PM]

savbomb ®

Post 01-Oct-2013 21:55 (after 1 hour 35 minutes)

[Quote]

I don't use dropbox. Before I start trying to work out how to, does this work for you:
http://www.gogofile.com/DisplayDocumentShell.aspx?p=directfileaccess&ID=635162243419335740_6611
[Profile] [PM]

the Flea

Post 01-Oct-2013 22:37 (after 42 minutes)

[Quote]

No problem downloading the files and the bass wasn't overly obtrusive
Oh and the board uses two colours to seperate the posts, the other colour is #dee3e7
[Profile] [PM]

DavidA

Post 01-Oct-2013 23:51 (after 1 hour 14 minutes)

[Quote]

Direct link works fine.
[Profile] [PM]

stew77

Longevity: 12 years

Post 02-Oct-2013 08:50 (after 8 hours)

[Quote]

My opinion:
The bass sounds fine - not as much detail as one would like - rolls off a little. A big improvement. Perhaps lower the high end (hi hats) just a touch.
[Profile] [PM]

savbomb ®

Post 02-Oct-2013 10:25 (after 1 hour 34 minutes)

[Quote]

Thanks stew (comment follows)... I think you're right to notice the high-end percussion. I did try lowering the top end more than this but, at the same time as reducing the prominence of the hi-hat, there's also a loss of definition in both the hi-hat and the vocals. You can reduce the prominence quite a lot with only a minor loss of definition, but I'm not sure the overall sound is better. I will have another look, though. I'm not sure whether I tried just reducing the very highest frequencies. Maybe that would do something.
[Profile] [PM]

DavidA

Post 02-Oct-2013 12:16 (after 1 hour 51 minute)

[Quote]

Great stuff. Comments below.
Overall the new sound in brighter and the vocals jump out a lot more. I was worried that there was perhaps too much high end but when I listened to it on decent headphones it sounded fine. Good job.
[Profile] [PM]
Display posts:    
Reply to topic

Current time is: 21-Nov 19:20