1987-04-10 The Tube Oct 2013 remaster

Reply to topic

savbomb ®

Longevity: 6 years 4 months

Post 29-Oct-2013 22:48

[Quote]

I did a remaster of this a while ago, but I wasn't really happy with it. This is much better.
1. Sheila Take A Bow
2. Shoplifters Of The World Unite
Here is an MP3 preview It starts with the source version from the Unlovable bootleg and then switches to the remaster halfway through.
[Profile] [PM]

DavidA

Longevity: 12 years

Post 30-Oct-2013 00:31 (after 1 hour 43 minutes)

[Quote]

Very noticeable difference. Are you saying you used Unlovable as the source and just applied EQs?
Did you compare it against the Soundsville compilation VHS rip?
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5454/smiths/soundville_tube.zip
It's on the FWD Anthology vol 2 from a different source too.
[Profile] [PM]

savbomb ®

Longevity: 6 years 4 months

Post 30-Oct-2013 13:01 (after 12 hours)

[Quote]

It's basically done in two stages.
At the risk of being thrown out of the Magic Circle, here's an MP3 which shows the development:
http://www.gogofile.com/Default.aspx?p=sc&ID=635187200195412500_6764
First, there is the untreated version from Unlovable. Then a version with EQ added. Finally, a filtered version of the audio from Steve's video (it is poorer quality than Unlovable and very hissy, so no good to use raw) is overlayed, but only in the right channel. The trick here is that this gives a different sound in each ear, so there is more detail overall and a sort of mock stereo effect (whereas the source is mono). So, the left and right channels are more than the sum of their parts and you get a lift to the recording that you can't get just from EQ.
Added to that, speed correction and a fair bit of repairing.
I didn't actually know that there was a third version. I daren't listen now.
[Profile] [PM]

Robinbrevard

Longevity: 7 years 5 months

Post 05-Nov-2013 12:00 (after 5 days)

[Quote]

I attempted something similar with the Reeling Around the Fountain versions as source material, but didn't have the alternate sources mentioned here. Looking forward to having a listen to savbomb's as well as Soundsville's.
For any interested, I compiled the audio from my versions and many other Smiths British radio and TV sessions (none officially released) and recently posted it all at my blog:
http://dbs-repercussion.blogspot.com/2013/10/smiths-at-beeb-unreleased-1983-87.html
[Profile] [PM]

DavidA

Post 05-Nov-2013 13:40 (after 1 hour 40 minutes)

[Quote]

First, there is the untreated version from Unlovable. Then a version with EQ added. Finally, a filtered version of the audio from Steve's video (it is poorer quality than Unlovable and very hissy, so no good to use raw) is overlayed, but only in the right channel. The trick here is that this gives a different sound in each ear, so there is more detail overall and a sort of mock stereo effect (whereas the source is mono). So, the left and right channels are more than the sum of their parts and you get a lift to the recording that you can't get just from EQ.
Oh. My. Goodness.
I very much appreciate the effort. I had no idea there was that much going on. I wondered where the stereo effect came from and now I know.
[Profile] [PM]

DavidA

Post 05-Nov-2013 13:44 (after 3 minutes)

[Quote]

I attempted something similar with the Reeling Around the Fountain versions as source material, but didn't have the alternate sources mentioned here. Looking forward to having a listen to savbomb's as well as Soundsville's.
Thanks for posting that here. I have been working on something myself having gone through the various sources. You can see my research here.
Ideally it requires someone <ahem> to composite the sources to take the best of each, but that's probably beyond my ability. If only someone <ahem> had that ability around here...
The biggest frustration is that there isn't a good version of Wonderful Woman.
[Profile] [PM]

Robinbrevard

Longevity: 7 years 5 months

Post 05-Nov-2013 17:14 (after 3 hours)

[Quote]

The biggest frustration is that there isn't a good version of Wonderful Woman.
Agreed. The one I used for my comp is the Reeling Around the Fountain version, but the staggering amount of hiss was beyond my ability to remove without ruining the quality of the remaining music.
By the way, I have all the files from my comp posted in lossless format as well as MP3, and am glad for others to use in their own comps, upload here, etc.
[Profile] [PM]
Display posts:    
Reply to topic

Current time is: 18-Oct 13:33