Smiths sampler compilation

Reply to topic

savbomb ®

Longevity: 7 years

Post 19-Feb-2014 16:17

[Quote]

I've done a compilation of rarities from the site in their best versions. It's meant mainly for new visitors, so they can download this and then decide what they would like to hear more of. But I've also included a few new things to encourage seeders.
More details to follow.
1. What Do You See In Him?
2. What Difference Does It Make?
3. Accept Yourself
4. Handsome Devil
5. This Night Has Opened My Eyes
6. Girl Afraid
7. Heaven Knows I’m Miserable Now
8. Barbarism Begins At Home
9. How Soon Is Now?
10. That Joke Isn’t Funny Anymore
11. Rusholme Ruffians
12. I Want The One I Can’t Have
13. Jeane
14. Shakespeare’s Sister
15. Bigmouth Strikes Again
16. Panic
17. I Know It’s Over
18. There Is A Light That Never Goes Out
19. Girlfriend In A Coma
20. Sheila Take A Bow
[Profile] [PM]

savbomb ®

Post 19-Feb-2014 17:03 (after 45 minutes)

[Quote]

1. What Do You See In Him?
Live at The Haçienda, Manchester, 4 February 1983, the Smiths' third gig. This is based on a bootleg called The Butterfly Collector (here), but it has been adjusted to the correct speed and the sound has been enhanced. It's the only available recording of the song, which later became "Wonderful Woman". This version was previously available as an MP3 on another site, but this is the first time the lossless version has been available.
2. What Difference Does It Make?
Rehearsal recording made at Crazy Face on Portland Street in Manchester (the business owned by the Smiths' manager at the time, Joe Moss) in May 1983. I've done a little bit of cleaning, but this is basically similar to the version on the full rehearsal recording, which is available here.
3. Accept Yourself
"Piano version" from the monitor tapes of Troy Tate's ill-fated attempt to produce the Smiths' debut LP in summer 1983. The full set of recordings is available here.
4. Handsome Devil
Live at the Assembly Rooms, Derby, 7 December 1983. Taken from the audio track to this video. Don't be put off by the notice you see when you click on the link. The recording hasn't been upgraded, and still has the best available audio.
5. This Night Has Opened My Eyes
Live on a BBC show called Y.E.S., 6 February 1984. I wasn't sure about including this, because the sound quality is not brilliant. But it is better than previously available versions and it is at roughly the correct speed, so I thought some people might want it. For a better live version of this song, download the Derby video referred to above.
6. Girl Afraid
Live at Queen Margaret Hall, Glasgow, 2 March 1984. This is taken from a bootleg, which would in turn have taken it from a tape called "Dept of Enjoyment" which was produced by the NME in 1984. This seems to be the only widely available version, but the bass is a bit distorted (even though the sound quality is good overall). Someone who knows what they are doing should get themselves the original tape off eBay and do us all an upgrade.
7. Heaven Knows I’m Miserable Now
Remastered FM recording at the Meervaart, Amsterdam, 21 April 1984. A very good recording, although the bass is much too high up in the mix. Full concert here.
8. Barbarism Begins At Home
Live at the Markhalle, Hamburg, 4 May 1984. Probably the best live recording available from 1983-1984. Full concert video is here and audio is here.
9. How Soon Is Now?
Peel session recorded for the BBC in August 1984. This is the only full-length version available at the correct speed. Taken from this compilation of BBC sessions.
10. That Joke Isn’t Funny Anymore
Live at the Oxford Apollo, 18 March 1985. One of the most widely-bootlegged concerts. The best version is here, although it is MP3. There is a slightly inferior lossless version here.
11. Rusholme Ruffians
Live at Studio 54, Barcelona, 16 April 1985. Taken from the Catalan TV special available as a video here. High-quality versions of the songs in that broadcast are available in audio here and a poorer-quality video of the full concert is available here.
12. I Want The One I Can’t Have
Live on the Paseo de Camoens, Madrid, 18 April 1985. Supposedly, 300,000 people attended the concert. Audio of the full concert is here and video is here, although the video has annoying bits of missing audio every minute or so.
13. Jeane
Live at Hollywood Palladium, 27 June 1985. I intended to remaster the whole concert, but gave up. The sound is OK, but I wasn't able to get it quite good enough to make the work seem worthwhile. However, Jeane is (IMO) one of the Smiths' most underrated songs, and good live versions are hard to come by. The full concert is available here, although the sound quality is not as good.
14. Shakespeare’s Sister
Liverpool Royal Court, 8 Feb 1986. Full concert here. I've done a few remasters of Smiths concerts, and this was the one I was most pleased with. Although there are better quality concert recordings available, and although I don't think the band really do themselves justice (they hadn't toured for a while and I think they were under-rehearsed), there's a massive difference between this and the source material.
15. Bigmouth Strikes Again
Live on the BBC's Old Grey Whistle test, 20 May 1986. This is the only place you will find a good recording of this from start to finish.
16. Panic
Live on a special version of The Tube called Eurotube, 5 June 1986. Full concert (two songs) here.
17. I Know It’s Over
Live at the Irvine Meadows Amphitheatre, California, 28 August 1986. A lot of people's favourite Smiths bootleg. Full version here.
18. There Is A Light That Never Goes Out
Live version in Kilburn, London, 23 October 1986, not included on Rank. I've spliced two recordings, so this has the best audio but also has the talking before the song starts. MP3 version of the full BBC broadcast here. Only slightly inferior lossless version here.
19. Girlfriend In A Coma
From the Demos and Outtakes bootleg, which has unreleased recordings spanning the Smiths' career, all in similar quality.
20. Sheila Take A Bow
Live on The Tube 10 April 1987 - the last time The Smiths played live. I did a stereo remaster of this, which is here. However, I have to confess it sometimes sounds funny, depending on what equipment I am listening on, so I have done an alternative mono version for this collection.

Last edited by savbomb on 2014-02-19 17:46; edited 6 times in total
[Profile] [PM]

DavidA

Longevity: 13 years

Post 19-Feb-2014 17:12 (after 9 minutes)

[Quote]

Lovely. Look forward to hearing this.
Great to have you around :)
[Profile] [PM]

tmtomh

Longevity: 5 years 10 months

Post 19-Feb-2014 19:03 (after 1 hour 50 minutes)

[Quote]

Thanks! Getting this now and will of course stay on to seed it.
[Profile] [PM]

Burtcobain

Longevity: 6 years 3 months

Post 19-Feb-2014 20:24 (after 1 hour 21 minute)

[Quote]

an excellent archive compilation . . thank you for your work on this . .
[Profile] [PM]

andysbassline

Longevity: 5 years 4 months

Post 19-Feb-2014 23:19 (after 2 hours 54 minutes)

[Quote]

Pretty sure I've got everything, but got it anyway. Will make a good mix cd. Oh, and thanks.
[Profile] [PM]

waterisnat

Post 21-Feb-2014 11:53 (after 1 day 12 hours)

[Quote]

I tried, but I will never understand... Why does everybody continue to label the early version of Wonderful Woman played at the Hacienda in Feb 1983 "What Do You See In Him?"???? I can see how lazy and ignorant bootleggers could come up with it in the late '80s/early '90s (when Wonderful Woman was a very obscure song, only known to owners of the original 12"), but why it is still being used by fans and authors alike is completely beyond me. Has anybody ever listened to the recording? Morrissey sings "What do you see in hER" every time. Besides, he would never in a million years have come up with a clumsy and lumpy title like that. So, unless somebody comes up with handwritten proof (from a setlist or a demo tape insert), I remain convinced that the alliteration of the final title was there right from the beginning, even when the lyrics weren't finished yet.
One more thing, and then I'll step of my soapbox. The concert at the Assembly Rooms in Derby happened on December 6th, 1983: http://www.johnnymarrplaysguitar.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/hi_19831206-Assembly-Rooms-Derby_ticket-300x240.png .
[Profile] [PM]

savbomb ®

Post 21-Feb-2014 14:24 (after 2 hours 31 minute)

[Quote]

I tried, but I will never understand... Why does everybody continue to label the early version of Wonderful Woman played at the Hacienda in Feb 1983 "What Do You See In Him?"???? I can see how lazy and ignorant bootleggers could come up with it in the late '80s/early '90s (when Wonderful Woman was a very obscure song, only known to owners of the original 12"), but why it is still being used by fans and authors alike is completely beyond me. Has anybody ever listened to the recording? Morrissey sings "What do you see in hER" every time. Besides, he would never in a million years have come up with a clumsy and lumpy title like that. So, unless somebody comes up with handwritten proof (from a setlist or a demo tape insert), I remain convinced that the alliteration of the final title was there right from the beginning, even when the lyrics weren't finished yet.
One more thing, and then I'll step of my soapbox. The concert at the Assembly Rooms in Derby happened on December 6th, 1983: http://www.johnnymarrplaysguitar.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/hi_19831206-Assembly-Rooms-Derby_ticket-300x240.png .
I hear "What do you see in him?/What do you see in her?"., then it's reversed "What do you see in her?/What do you see in him?". The first "him" could be heard as "hair", but I don't think you could sing "her" that way in Morrissey's accent. It's also echoed with "she will leave you.../he will leave you...".
You might be right about the date of the Derby gig, but concert tickets sometimes lie, because concerts sometimes get postponed (particularly if Morrissey is the singer). In this case, I'm pretty sure it has been reliably reported somewhere (like in one of the many interviews-with-roadcrew articles) that the concert was in the afternoon, whereas the ticket says 8.45 pm. The biographers (e.g. Johnny Rogan, David Bret) seem to think it was on 7th, and I think it possible that they may be correct.
[Profile] [PM]

olivmc

Longevity: 12 years

Post 21-Feb-2014 16:01 (after 1 hour 36 minutes)

[Quote]

Thank you verrrrrry much.
[Profile] [PM]

waterisnat

Post 21-Feb-2014 21:26 (after 5 hours)

[Quote]

I hear "What do you see in him?/What do you see in her?"., then it's reversed "What do you see in her?/What do you see in him?". The first "him" could be heard as "hair", but I don't think you could sing "her" that way in Morrissey's accent. It's also echoed with "she will leave you.../he will leave you...".
You might be right about the date of the Derby gig, but concert tickets sometimes lie, because concerts sometimes get postponed (particularly if Morrissey is the singer). In this case, I'm pretty sure it has been reliably reported somewhere (like in one of the many interviews-with-roadcrew articles) that the concert was in the afternoon, whereas the ticket says 8.45 pm. The biographers (e.g. Johnny Rogan, David Bret) seem to think it was on 7th, and I think it possible that they may be correct.
Having listened once more myself, I still think that it's twice "what do you see in her?" the first time, but the second time it could indeed be her/him. As for "she will leave you.../he will leave you", I admit that it might be like that, but the "yes" before the line is repeated makes it hard to be sure.
Still, I want to see "What Do You See In Him?" in Morrissey's own handwriting before I will finally accept that that was the original title.
As for the Derby date, there is not just the ticket stub, but also the eyewitness account of Gary/Pixieboy: http://smithstorrents.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=3597 .
[Profile] [PM]

savbomb ®

Post 23-Feb-2014 11:42 (after 1 day 14 hours)

[Quote]

BTW. I don't know if this has been noticed before, but listen very carefully at the end of What Difference Does It Make? and you will hear Johnny calling Morrissey Steven. I suppose it's not that surprising, given that it's his name. But sort of interesting to hear.
[Profile] [PM]

DocBenway78

Longevity: 5 years 2 months

Post 28-Mar-2014 16:56 (after 1 month 5 days)

[Quote]

Thanks for this. I'm new to the site (although not new to the Smiths...) and this was actually my first download... there's quite an intimidating amount of material here so this was a great way to dip my toes in the water... listening to it right now and it's excellent. I've heard quite a few amount of bootlegs over the years but there's definitely a bunch of tracks that are new to me here...
Appreciate the work in putting this together!
[Profile] [PM]
Display posts:    
Reply to topic

Current time is: 20-Jun 05:49