Still Ill
Barbarism Begins At Home
I Want The One I Can't Have
Miserable Lie
/Hand In Glove
/What Difference Does It Make?
//Jeane
//These Things Take Time
In Autumn of 1984 Me and Paul decided to amalgamate our seperate market stalls together and Soundsville International was born. I first discovered bootlegs in the summer of 1982 wandering through Portobello market. I came across a record stall with a small box of cassettes with titles scribbled in biro. I bought 2. One was David Bowie at Santa Monica, and the other was Joy Division at Amsterdam. It was the most exciting thing I'd ever come across. Then I saw a recording Walkman in a HiFi store, and I thought ... I could record my own bootlegs. I could make really nice covers for them and sell them in a market. They'd be much better than those scribbled covers. The first gig I recorded was the Gun Club at the Lyceum ... the recording was OK, but the cover was great. Pictures cut out of the NME, Letraset, glue and tip-ex. I sold loads! By 1984 most stalls were doing picture covers, although most didn't take too much trouble over them. Not only did Paul have the same taste in music as me ... his covers were little works of art.
Paul also used to make trips outside London to record shows. Not for everyone, but for bands he particularly liked. He'd gone up to Gloucester a few months earlier to record the Smiths, where he'd recorded the soundscheck as well. I'd never really considered going on a trip just to see and record a show ... or thought of trying to record soundchecks. Sounded like great ideas. So we planned our first soundsville trip.
The next Smiths gigs we saw were a series of Irish dates, with 2 dates in Dublin on the 13th and 14th of November. This sounded ideal ... good town to visit, 2 shows to make the trip more worth while ... great. So off we went in the car ... no tickets ... no hotel ... nothing sorted. Drove up to Holyhead to catch the Ferry. It was a very stormy week, and the crossing to dublin was awful. I'm usually pretty good on boats, but I just sat and quietly turned green. We heard later that Johnny had been carried off the other end when they'd come across a few days earlier. We arrived on the night of the 13th, drove in to Dubin, found a b&b and booked in. We decided Paul would record tonights show and I'd go down to front and take pictures ... and then I'd record the second night. So we readied our equipment and walked into to city to find the SFX. Got there in plenty of time, and bought some tickets (before the days when everything was sold out ages before the gig). We also found out that this was the final night in Dublin. They'd played there the night before ... the actual dates were 12th and 13th. It was just the UK press that had it down as the 13th and 14th. Somehow the wrong dates seem to have persisted up until quite recently.
Anyway Paul recorded the show. I'm not sure if I have the master or a 1st gen copy. It's on Metal tape, so could well be the master. He used a professional walkman, but not sure what mic. His mic had a thinner sound to mine which gave a more trebly recoding. Sounded good on cassette, but I think not so good on CD. Anyway, this isn't one of our best recordings (they're all coming up in 85/65). But it was a great show. The audience went wild and I had big problems getting any decent photos from down the front.
Next day we walked round dublin with bags of bootlegs from our stall, visiting all the record shops, seeing if they either wanted to buy some bootlegs, or better still, have some good dublin bootelgs to trade. It was a great day, and I've since met a number of poeple who said they bought bootleg tapes in dublin record stores with the Soundville International logo on the cover.

Last edited by steve on 2006-11-04 16:44; edited 1 time in total
[Profile] [PM]

fki

Longevity: 11 years

Post 03-Nov-2006 22:47 (after 5 minutes)

[Quote]

Steve, thank you (and Paul, of course), as always!
[Profile] [PM]

bclark93

Post 03-Nov-2006 23:56 (after 1 hour 8 minutes)

[Quote]

As always many thanks Steve! You've made the best of my weekends :-)
[Profile] [PM]

cut_here

Post 04-Nov-2006 00:41 (after 45 minutes)

[Quote]

Thanks a lot!
[Profile] [PM]

Angelic

Post 04-Nov-2006 03:51 (after 3 hours)

[Quote]

I love reading the story behind the bootlegs :)
It adds a much more personal feel to the music!
Thanks for all your hard work and uploads!
I couldn't find a cover for this, so I threw this together in like 3 minutes

Last edited by Angelic on 2006-11-05 04:09; edited 3 times in total
[Profile] [PM]

traveller03

Post 04-Nov-2006 04:46 (after 54 minutes)

[Quote]

Ah... Friday again and another fine start to the weekend. Thank you Steve!
[Profile] [PM]

batnaMMV

Post 04-Nov-2006 13:50 (after 9 hours)

[Quote]

Thanks again Steve, another fine upload and great to hear the story behind it as well :D
[Profile] [PM]

krist0v

Post 04-Nov-2006 21:37 (after 7 hours)

[Quote]

Thank you very much
Chris
[Profile] [PM]

clarkondrums

Post 05-Nov-2006 03:10 (after 5 hours)

[Quote]

Thanks again Steve!
Cheers,
Clark
[Profile] [PM]

waterisnat

Post 05-Nov-2006 13:58 (after 10 hours)

[Quote]

Ever since hearing that lovely abbreviated version of "Please Please Please..." on the "A Nice Bit of Meat" vinyl bootleg I've been dying to hear the full recording of this concert - and here it is, straight from the master tape!
I love the sfx on Morrissey's vocals in "Barbarism Begins At Home"... they really had the final arrangement for this song nailed down by this time!! And it's interesting to hear that "I Want The One I Can't Have" was being considered as the next single at that time.
This line is old, but still... thanks a lot!
[Profile] [PM]

DavidA

Post 05-Nov-2006 20:33 (after 6 hours)

[Quote]

Usually I'll take a soundboard over an audience, but I actually quite like the audience soundtrack. Sounds like they're enjoying themselves.
I love it when Rusholme Ruffians segues into Charming Man. It just gave me goosebumps. "Will nature make a mouse of me yet?"
Nice version of How Soon Is Now. Johnny added a little bit of melody that I hadn't heard before. A really good breakdown between the first and second parts.
About the best live version of Jeane I've heard too. A tiny diversion into Day Tripper by the Beatles.
As ever Steve, a great recording and a great story. Keep them coming.
[Profile] [PM]

DavidA

Post 05-Nov-2006 23:17 (after 2 hours 44 minutes)

[Quote]

Here's an info.
[Profile] [PM]

dlgladwin

Post 06-Nov-2006 08:44 (after 9 hours)

[Quote]

Thanks for this, Steve - and you say the best shows are yet to come?
I can hardly wait!
[Profile] [PM]

monsterH

Post 11-Nov-2006 08:49 (after 5 days)

[Quote]

Thanks Steve...!
[Profile] [PM]

gummomarx

Longevity: 10 years

Post 20-Apr-2007 23:53 (after 5 months 9 days)

[Quote]

Can anyone help me and seed this show. Iv'e been stuck at 48% for ages. Hope you can help.
[Profile] [PM]
Display posts:    
Reply to topic

Current time is: 15-Dec 04:35