Nowhere Fast
Still Ill
Stretch Out And Wait
You've Got Everything Now
Meat Is Murder
/Reel Around The Fountain
/Barbarism Begins At Home
/Miserable Lie
In the first part of 1985 we acquired some extra 'stuff' for Soundsville. We bought an old second hand VW Combi van, which was ideal for carting our stall to and from Camden market every weekend, and would become very useful when we started travelling around the country following the Smiths. We also found someone who would sell us a high speed tape duplicator. In 1984 Aiwa produced a brilliant double cassette deck that would copy both sides of a cassette at double speed ... that's 15 minutes to copy a C60. Me and Paul had a couple each ... but by 1985 industry pressure had led to the decks being withdrawn, so you couldn't get them anymore. You could also get 'professional' copiers that would copy at 10x speed on both sides at once ... that's 3 minutes for a C60. But you had to prove you had a legitimate use for them before you could buy them . Unless you found someone who wasn't that bothered. Not sure how we found them, but a Hi-Fi shop in Ealing was prepared to sell us one. It was a great buy ... saved us loads of time each week, and was priceless at Glastonbury, where we had a stall each year. There we could now record someone on the main stage, then run back up the hill to the stall, and have a number of copies of the recording duplicated and put into pre-made covers before most people who were watching the show made it past. Anyway ... as well as the High speed duplicator, they also had boxes of blank cassettes they wanted to get rid of cheaply. These had been made for some promotion by TDK, but had Technics branding ... and actually had much better shells and mechanisms that the standard TDK tapes. They had a number of boxes of Metal tape which he offered at under £1 a tape, so we took them all as we thought they'd make great recording masters. And they were brilliant. Metal tape gives you loads of extra headroom. You can record way into the red and you just get extra detail. You don't need noise reduction, and it seems to capture so much more. I think our recordings improved alot using those.
So when the Meat Is Murder tour was announced, we were ready to go. We bought tickets for the London dates, and we were going to busk it for any others we went to. I think initially we only planned on going to the dates within a reasonable drive of London. Perhaps going to the initial few shows (all quite close to London) and then seeing how we felt.
The Chippenham show was midweek, and we set off quite early and arrived mid afternoon. I remember hanging about the car park and venue and seeing some other people doing the same and wondering if they were here for the Smiths too. We were new to following bands around. By the end of the tour, we'd have sussed out what times the soundchecks were, where we could talk to the crew, where we might be likely to see the band etc etc ... but today we were wandering around a bit aimlessly. The Venue itself was a bit odd. It looked more like a disco than a live venue ... and it was quite small too. It had a sort of raised bit at the sides ... just a couple of steps up and no railing, but ideal for getting your mics above the crowd. I don't remember much about the show itself, except that it wasn't that full and the audience (probably as a result) were quite subdued.
Both Paul and me recorded the show (we did this for all the early shows), although we both fucked up. I discovered what happens when your microphone battery runs down ... I have the whole show on tape, but after the first song or 2, Morrissey's vocals start to distort ... and this gets progressively worse. For some reason Paul only started recording a few songs into the show. So the result is that the recording in this torrent contains the first part from my recording (including some songs with distorted vocals), and then Paul's from when his recording starts. Both recorded onto Metal tape, using Sony Professional Walkmans. Its a pity about the battery, because I think this is a pretty good recording otherwise.
After the show we hung around a bit and ended up meeting other Smiths fans who'd travelled to the show, and gave a couple of them a lift back to London ... or was that the next date? Memory is a funny thing.

Last edited by steve on 2006-11-12 09:16; edited 1 time in total
[Profile] [PM]

bclark93

Longevity: 11 years

Post 10-Nov-2006 20:48 (after 1 hour 32 minutes)

[Quote]

reading your stories behind the recordings makes them much more exciting!
:D thanks again Steve!
[Profile] [PM]

cut_here

Post 10-Nov-2006 21:57 (after 1 hour 8 minutes)

[Quote]

thanks a lot (and you should write a book. ;) )
[Profile] [PM]

catalina

Post 11-Nov-2006 04:05 (after 6 hours)

[Quote]

Outstanding sound! Thanks for taking the time to upload this show! :D
[Profile] [PM]

dlgladwin

Post 11-Nov-2006 10:30 (after 6 hours)

[Quote]

Thanks for the recordings and the stories, Steve - this will build up into a really useful resource, so once the series is complete mabe your stories could be compiled in a single thread, for us to revisit and enjoy in the future.
[Profile] [PM]

arkil

Post 11-Nov-2006 12:48 (after 2 hours 18 minutes)

[Quote]

thanks so much Steve !
[Profile] [PM]

krist0v

Post 11-Nov-2006 23:21 (after 10 hours)

[Quote]

Thank you very much for sharing
Chris
[Profile] [PM]

fki

Post 12-Nov-2006 00:00 (after 38 minutes)

[Quote]

Hey, what a great surprise (at least for me): the last song on this show wasn't Barbarism Begins At Home but Miserable Lie! This song isn't even present on the setlist of passionsjustlikemine.com.
Steve, is the Paul-part from a 1st generation tape, or you got Paul's master?
However the quality is amazing.
One day I'd really like to hear your complete recording of this show - even if it's distorted...
Thank you for sharing your gems!
[Profile] [PM]

steve ®

Post 12-Nov-2006 09:18 (after 9 hours)

[Quote]

Thanks for that. I just copied the track listing from Passions to save on typing it all up. I guess I should check from now on. I have all Paul's master tapes from the Meat is Murder tour ... so both of these are from the master
[Profile] [PM]

batnaMMV

Post 12-Nov-2006 13:11 (after 3 hours)

[Quote]

Thanks steve, another great share :)
[Profile] [PM]

monsterH

Post 12-Nov-2006 14:39 (after 1 hour 28 minutes)

[Quote]

great concert, great stories - thanks steve...!
[Profile] [PM]

clarkondrums

Post 13-Nov-2006 03:09 (after 12 hours)

[Quote]

Thanks Steve!!
Cheers,
Clark
[Profile] [PM]

Smelly French Boy

Longevity: 10 years

Post 07-Jul-2007 08:03 (after 7 months 24 days)

[Quote]

Many thanks
[Profile] [PM]

anovella

Post 25-Aug-2007 18:40 (after 1 month 18 days)

[Quote]

Thank you very much, Please Seed!
[Profile] [PM]

tonythepony

Longevity: 10 years

Post 07-Sep-2007 03:59 (after 12 days)

[Quote]

thank you very much for sharing this amazing recording with all of us, very interesting story of you and your friend too
regards from mazatlan, mexico
[Profile] [PM]
Display posts:    
Reply to topic

Current time is: 17-Aug 19:13