Shut Down!

Go to page :  1, 2  Next

Reply to topic

DavidA ®

Longevity: 11 years

Post 20-Nov-2006 19:31

[Quote]

A week or so I got a warning from my hosting company to tell me that smithstorrents.co.uk was taking up too many resources. It sits on a shared server and is slowing down other sites.
I've been looking for a new home. The current home costs me £10 per month. The new, suitable one being offered from my ISP is £80. I've been looking for something cheaper, but without any success.
Today my hosting company locked the database, which I expect means things will start breaking.
Because I love the site and the recordings its uncovered I've taken the easy option of upgrading to the £80 a month site, but to be honest I'd rather find a solution that doesn't cost me quite as much. I'm not really looking for donations, but if anyone can offer the site a new home then I'm all ears. I'm also up for any clever ideas anyone has.
I could sell well packaged live DVDs on eBay to pay for the hosting, but it's not something I'm 100% comfortable with.
Ideas?
P.S. Normal service should resume in about five days once I've transitioned to the new server.
[Profile] [PM]

bclark93

Post 20-Nov-2006 22:17 (after 2 hours 45 minutes)

[Quote]

dave I'm for one back whatever plan works that can guarantee us as a community to continue.
I think with some donations and some ideas some of us can come up with should be more
than sufficient to help whatever course you take.
with as many members we have it would be interesting to see what others may have to say.
[Profile] [PM]

whitecolours

Post 20-Nov-2006 23:29 (after 1 hour 11 minutes)

[Quote]

I haven't spoken much on here but I've been around for a while. I am in the odd position of being relatively young and a student - thus leaving me rather poor AND minus any interesting material to contribute to this forum. I try and make up for it by seeding as much as my computer will allow me too which will hopefully be more soon.
I guess I just want to say thanks for getting such a great community off the ground Dave. I can give you very small amounts of money via paypal if you wish (every bit counts) - but when it comes to new servers etc I am not that literate. I'll follow this discussion and whatever solution arises I'll do my best to help how I can!
[Profile] [PM]

SweetFA

Post 20-Nov-2006 23:36 (after 7 minutes)

[Quote]

Are these any good?
http://www.streamlinenet.co.uk/uu.php
[Profile] [PM]

taco

Post 21-Nov-2006 02:20 (after 2 hours 43 minutes)

[Quote]

Dave,
I think the work that you are doing is great and lookforward to it each time! There's nothing wrong with asking for donations. I believe other sites do the same (my 2cents - no pun intended).
[Profile] [PM]

dlgladwin

Post 21-Nov-2006 08:59 (after 6 hours)

[Quote]

David
You can rely on me for a donation if this will help.
The option of selling DVDs via eBay is likely to attract the wrong sort of attention, and rather goes against what we're trying to achieve here.
Would a modest monthly subscription from registered members perhaps help? How many of us are there? Divide £80 by that number and surely it won't come to much.
[Profile] [PM]

batnaMMV

Post 21-Nov-2006 11:21 (after 2 hours 21 minute)

[Quote]

I am also prepared to donate to help the cause, this site has given me so music I feel guilty for taking it for free!. David you have worked so hard to get this site going, it would be a real shame if it stopped now. Especially with all the great recordings that have surfaced here, they are worth so much more than the money it costs to run the site.
I hope the transition to the new server goes smoothly.
[Profile] [PM]

DavidA ®

Post 21-Nov-2006 12:50 (after 1 hour 28 minutes)

[Quote]

Thanks for the words of support.
Don't worry. The site won't be going anywhere. It might have to move at some point but I'll keep it going by hook or by crook.
I think for the time being I'll pay the larger costs and put a donate button on the site. I'll see how that goes.
[Profile] [PM]

anovella

Post 21-Nov-2006 13:04 (after 13 minutes)

[Quote]

Espero que todo vaya bien y que SmithsTorrents continue funcionando estoy deacuerdo con las donaciones.
Saludos DavidA
[Profile] [PM]

overfiend

Post 21-Nov-2006 19:43 (after 6 hours)

[Quote]

Ideas?
We make a own group in the usenet ;-).
anyway, i hope this great site is still alive for the future. i think a lot of the user supported this site with paypal!
[Profile] [PM]

vivasouthpaw

Post 22-Nov-2006 15:49 (after 20 hours)

[Quote]

It may sound childish, I know, but I'm 30 and this site thought me to share.
I support the idea of having registered users and asking them to donate little amounts by paypal. If some people don't pay that's OK, I'm sure many of us will, at least I will.
Thanks Dave...
[Profile] [PM]

shelfcompact

Post 23-Nov-2006 21:42 (after 1 day 5 hours)

[Quote]

I'll donate when ready. Been too good to me.
[Profile] [PM]

ezears

Post 28-Nov-2006 06:18 (after 4 days)

[Quote]

David you (and everyone else who has contributed), have done a remarkable job on here. I'll gladly donate to help support this site.
"...by hook or by crook.." George Lucas said this on TV the other night on a Star Wars special. :)
[Profile] [PM]

akiraware

Post 04-Dec-2006 12:27 (after 6 days)

[Quote]

Hi David,
How is going the situation? Sometimes is pretty hard to stay online, but please never loose the hope, even when you think you are going to shutdown someone suddenly appears to help you.
The donation link is a way, but I use these feature and get only a few every year, in the end I still pay to mantain the site alone.
The idea to create a different membership with a small fee is much better, you have loyal visitors prompt to help in that way (Me included) :D
[Profile] [PM]

DavidA ®

Post 04-Dec-2006 20:01 (after 7 hours)

[Quote]

Hi Akiraware,
Thanks for the message of support. I seem to be up and running on the new server without problems.
The good news is I now have unlimited bandwidth and I can do whatever I like on the machine. The bad news is that it's costing £80 a month.
I have loads of space and infinite bandwidth. Let me know if you'd like akiraware.com to share the server.
[Profile] [PM]
Display posts:    
Reply to topic

Current time is: 25-Sep 20:31