Morrissey - 1991-04-29 - L'Elysee Montmartre Paris (FM M2)

Reply to topic

monsterH ®

Longevity: 11 years

Post 01-Dec-2006 07:35

[Quote]

Hopefully this show hasn't already been posted here...!
Thanks to waterisnat for posting this on DimeADozen.
Details:
Morrissey
L'Elysée Montmartre, Paris
April 29th, 1991
On Monday, the 29th of April 1991 Morrissey played the second date of his first tour in years at the Elysée Montmartre in Paris. Inevitably Bernard Lenoir was there to capture the concert for his show on French radio station France Inter. The following night already he was on air commenting on the gig and playing two songs from the concert. Tracks 1-4 in this torrent preserve this taster.
The next Monday he broadcast the entire concert on his show. First song of the programme was the studio version of The Loop; obviously I couldn't include it here, hence the omission of track 6 in the torrent. Then the full concert was transmitted. So far so good. Anybody familiar with Lenoir's broadcasting habits (he of the "Black Sessions") knows what's coming next: the guy is incessantly babbling away between songs and - even worse - over intros and outros. Because there is nobody telling him when to shut the fuck up, this recording is less enjoyable than it might have been (it gets even worse between tracks 22 and 24: there is an interruption for the news, and afterwards the news reader actually engages Lenoir in a conversation not even Lenoir himself seems to be interested in... quite grotesque!). Still, I couldn't remove his chatter without butchering a few of the songs, so I had to let him be. Oh well... For those who care about such minutiae: he spoils the very beginning of Interesting Drug, but the intro to the concert was part of the foretaste, so you can find that there. Also, he's talking over the beginning of Sing Your Life in the full concert recording, but there's a clean intro in the taster.
For the sake of clarity: this particular recording is not one of those mentioned in the quoted bit from the "Passions Just Like Mine" site.
Enjoy!
lineage: two FM broadcasts -> analog cassette -> analog cassette -> analog cassette -> wav -> CD Wave editor (track splits) -> wav -> FLAC Frontend -> Maketorrent
TASTER
01. intro - Last of the Famous International Playboys
02. chit chat
03. Sing Your Life
04. more chit chat
05. (10-second gap)
THE FULL CONCERT
[06. The Loop (studio version) - not included]
07. (Lenoir babbling)
08. Interesting Drug
09. Mute Witness
10. Last of the Famous International Playboys
11. November Spawned A Monster
12. Will Never Marry
13. Sing Your Life
14. Asian Rut
15. Pregnant for the Last Time
16. King Leer
17. That's Entertainment
18. I've Changed My Plea to Guilty
19. Everyday Is Like Sunday (/tape flip)
20. Our Frank
21. Piccadilly Palare
22. Suedehead
23. interruption - two Frenchmen babbling away
first encore
24. Trash
second encore
25. Cosmic Dancer
26. Disappointed
27. (Lenoir still babbling...)
Interesting Drug
Mute Witness
The Last Of The Famous International Playboys
November Spawned A Monster
Will Never Marry
Sing Your Life
Asian Rut
Pregnant For The Last Time
King Leer
That's Entertainment
I've Changed My Plea To Guilty
Everyday Is Like Sunday
Our Frank
Piccadilly Palare
Suedehead
/Trash
//Cosmic Dancer
//Disappointed
For the second date of the Kill Uncle tour, Morrissey did a few setlist adjustments. "(I'm) The End Of The Family Line" was dropped and "Disappointed" was moved to the end of the show where it would remain for the rest of the tour. "Cosmic Dancer", which had been planned in Dublin but dropped, made its live debut here in Paris.
The concert was a success, but didn't turn into mayhem the way it did in Dublin. Before "Will Never Marry", Morrissey announced "I cannot speak French". When he would return to Paris at the end of the Your Arsenal tour the next year, Morrissey would update that comment by saying "I still cannot speak French".
"Pregnant For The Last Time" and "I've Changed My Plea To Guilty" were yet to be released, so Morrissey introduced them with the lines "This is a new song called 'Pregnant For The Last Time'" and "This song is reasonably new ...all I know is that it's called 'I've Changed My Plea To Guilty'." Before "Piccadilly Palare" he thanked the crowd in French by saying "merci".
Morrissey returned for the encore in a white sequin shirt, a change from the red one he had worn for the main set. The first encore, the New York Dolls cover "Trash", was introduced as "...for the late and great Johnny Thunders". After set closer "Disappointed", Morrissey threw his shirt into the audience and left stage followed by his band.
This concert was recorded and broadcast on French radio. Unfortunately, the radio announcer commented after each song the way a sports announcer would, something that can get annoying, whether the listener understands French or not.
This great quality FM recording can be found on a few bootlegs, the oldest being the "Posing In Paris" bootleg LP. It features the whole set minus "Sing Your Life", "Asian Rut", "King Leer" and "Our Frank" which were broadcast, but just not included on the LP.
That LP was reissued on a manufactured cd under the title "Sings His Life". However fans might prefer "It Was A Good Lay" which features the whole setlist and has most DJ interventions edited out. The downside however is that many songs have sound glitches and cuts in them, something that can be annoying after a while.
"It Was A Good Lay" is commonly found on file sharing networks on the internet. "Posing In Paris"/"Sings His Life" is also circulated, but much scarcer. Another recording, this one untitled but also quite scarce has most if not all the concert, with DJ interventions but without the glitches and cuts from "It Was A Good Lay".
[Profile] [PM]

akiraware

Post 04-Dec-2006 14:13 (after 3 days)

[Quote]

Thanks for that!
[Profile] [PM]

monsterH ®

Post 05-Dec-2006 16:17 (after 1 day 2 hours)

[Quote]

no problem akiraware - I haven't seen you around lately. good to see you back!
[Profile] [PM]

akiraware

Post 05-Dec-2006 23:55 (after 7 hours)

[Quote]

Hi,
Since august (my last update at akiraware LOL) I´m very busy taking care of my little daughter, she is starting to speak, and keep discovering my place and I need to keep an eye following her every minute.
She seems to hate the computers every time I go to my PCs she start knockin the keyboards with the mice, putting the little fingers in my screen, so I´m not able to use my Pcs a lot HEHEHE
[Profile] [PM]

monsterH ®

Post 06-Dec-2006 04:48 (after 4 hours)

[Quote]

I understand - I am in the same situation! That's why I am only on the PC after the kids are asleep!
[Profile] [PM]

anovella

Post 19-Dec-2006 12:12 (after 13 days)

[Quote]

Thanks For This!!
[Profile] [PM]

shearer9uk

Post 26-Dec-2006 21:20 (after 7 days)

[Quote]

Ta muchly.
Merry Xmas one and all.
[Profile] [PM]

iisaphd

Longevity: 8 years 8 months

Post 14-Oct-2010 17:59 (after 3 years 9 months)

[Quote]

Could someone please reseed this show?
[Profile] [PM]

anovella

Post 15-Oct-2010 05:36 (after 11 hours)

[Quote]

Reseed!! enjoy
Greetings!!!!
Could someone please reseed this show?
[Profile] [PM]

neprotnaur

Longevity: 4 years 3 months

Post 29-Dec-2013 22:49 (after 3 years 2 months)

[Quote]

please reseed for 2014 ta!
[Profile] [PM]

FREDDINDEED

Longevity: 3 years 8 months

Post 16-Jan-2014 18:56 (after 17 days)

[Quote]

thanks
[Profile] [PM]
Display posts:    
Reply to topic

Current time is: 25-Sep 20:35