1985-03-07 Brighton Dome

Go to page :  1, 2  Next

Reply to topic

steve ®

Longevity: 11 years

Post 08-Dec-2006 19:23

[Quote]

**************************************************************************************
William It Was Really Nothing
I Want The One I Can't Have
What She Said
Handsome Devil
How Soon Is Now?
Shakespeare's Sister
Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now
That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore
Reel Around The Fountain
Rusholme Ruffians
Hand In Glove
The Headmaster Ritual
Nowhere Fast
Meat Is Murder
/Still Ill
//Miserable Lie
Brighton is a great town to visit. Down by the sea with lots of interesting things to do and see. A bit later on we discovered that Brighton University held a traders market mid week, and for a while we used to set up a stall there. Not much trade (I guess money is a bit tight for students), but its nice to make a trip to the seaside every week. Actually we struck a deal with one of the clothes stalls there to swap stuff ... so he'd pick out some tapes he wanted, and we could pick out clothes from his stall at the equivalent price. A pair of jeans for 3 cassettes or something. Anyway ... we got down quite early, with time to chuck some pebbles into the sea and walk up and down brighton pier. The Dome is an all seated venue ... the first of the tour. This poses problems for people on the guest list, as you don't have a seat, and we generally had to find somewhere to stand out of the way ... which isn't ideal for recording. We usually got given a stick on guest pass (none of the modern laminated nonsense), which you'd flash when staff came to ask you to go back to your seat. Downstairs at the Dome the seats slope down to the stage like an ampitheatre ... and its circular. We both recorded the show and we started pretty much in the same position towards the top of the slope. Of course, as soon as the Smiths came on, everybody stood up. Although there was some vague attempt by staff to get people to return to their seats, people started to drift towards the front. So we gradualy inflitrated the seats seeking out nice positions where we could get good recordings from. We ended up on different sides of the auditorium ... and with pretty good recordings.
This is my recording, done using a Sony Professional Walkman with Sony EMC-929LT Mic onto Metal tape.
[Profile] [PM]

famouswhendead

Post 08-Dec-2006 19:26 (after 2 minutes)

[Quote]

Thanks again Steve.
[Profile] [PM]

cut_here

Post 08-Dec-2006 19:46 (after 19 minutes)

[Quote]

I've been looking forward to this all week, thanks again.
[Profile] [PM]

batnaMMV

Post 08-Dec-2006 19:56 (after 10 minutes)

[Quote]

Thankyou again Steve!!
[Profile] [PM]

Angelic

Longevity: 10 years

Post 08-Dec-2006 20:24 (after 28 minutes)

[Quote]

Thanks Steve!
[Profile] [PM]

bclark93

Post 08-Dec-2006 21:24 (after 1 hour)

[Quote]

Another excellent recording!! Many Thanks Steve!!!
[Profile] [PM]

fki

Post 08-Dec-2006 21:49 (after 25 minutes)

[Quote]

Can't wait to listen to it, thank you, Steve.
[Profile] [PM]

traveller03

Post 08-Dec-2006 22:30 (after 40 minutes)

[Quote]

Can't say thanks enough. These recordings are the highlight of my week!
[Profile] [PM]

dlgladwin

Post 08-Dec-2006 22:35 (after 5 minutes)

[Quote]

It's like The Smiths are still together...week by week through their gigs...please keep putting these up, Steve - by the look of the comments, you're gaining friends all over the world!
[Profile] [PM]

Pangol

Post 08-Dec-2006 23:35 (after 1 hour)

[Quote]

Wow. Was it Sussex University you used to sell tapes at? On Tuesday mornings? In the 1985/86 accademic year, I spent far too much of my student grant on Smiths boots from that very market. Towards the end of 1986, the guys selling the tapes said that they were selling up, and I'm sure that they said that one of the 86 gigs they sold me was their master - could have been Liverpool, 8/2/86. Ring any bells?
Oh, and thanks, of course. This is just too exciting. When I visited Sussex in early 1985 for my interview, the guy who showed me around was saying how good it was for gigs, and mentioned this gig as an example. Of course, they never came to Brighton again... although I did see Morrissey at the Dome in 1991.
[Profile] [PM]

monsterH

Post 09-Dec-2006 01:04 (after 1 hour 28 minutes)

[Quote]

Thanks! This is why I look forward to Fridays...! :D
[Profile] [PM]

krist0v

Post 09-Dec-2006 08:58 (after 7 hours)

[Quote]

Thanks Steve ! You rock, as usual ...
Chris
[Profile] [PM]

arkil

Post 09-Dec-2006 09:04 (after 6 minutes)

[Quote]

thanks very much Steve
[Profile] [PM]

steve ®

Post 09-Dec-2006 16:43 (after 7 hours)

[Quote]

Pangol,
It probably was. The University was a few miles east of brighton itself. Sounds like it would have been us ... I can't remember seeing any other tape stalls there. I can't remember the exact dates we did it ... but it would have been 85 or 86.
Anyway ... glad you lot are not bored with the weekely downloads. The Smiths didn't like to vary the set very much, which doesn't make for great bootlegging. Paul was a big Elvis Costello fan from before the Smiths, and had a vast collection of bootlegs. Elvis was a bootleggers dream, he would do radically different sets each night of a tour, doing different songs, doing songs in different ways/arrangements, and throwing in wonderful cover versions. So each recording offered something unique and interesting. I remember we produced 4 C90 volumes of 'covers & oddities' culled from various recordings. REM used to pepper their shows with one off covers for the encore too. The Smiths concerts were great, and there are differences in the performances ... but just looking at the set-lists from this tour, it would be hard to pick one show from another.
Sounds like I'm having a go at the Smiths ... which I'm not. I wouldn't have recorded all these shows if I thought they were in any way boring.
[Profile] [PM]

leche27

Post 11-Dec-2006 03:06 (after 1 day 10 hours)

[Quote]

from the heart of my bottom, thanks again Steve :)
[Profile] [PM]
Display posts:    
Reply to topic

Current time is: 21-Aug 00:45