Female singer on Granada "These Things Take Time"

Reply to topic

ownZero ®

Longevity: 11 years

Post 09-Dec-2006 18:15

[Quote]

Ever since acquiring and watching the Granada "These Things Take Time" documentary off dime, also here www.smithstorrents.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=217, I have wondered who the singer is that performs the great cover version of "There Is A Light That Never Goes Out."
I have hunted around the internet and searched Smiths forums and have been unable to find the answer. I did see that others had also posted asking who this singer is. I decided to put my detective hat on, call up google and try again.
First stop, the Granada TV web site. I am from the U.S. so am really unfamiliar with how UK TV is set up. Regardless I found nothing useful there. I then tried IMDB.com but there was no listing for the documentary there. Next I found some articles written back when the show first aired. Had to use the internet archive to read them as they were no longer being hosted by their original sites. These made me think to search for David Nolan, the documentary's writer and producer. There I found that David Nolan has a myspace page – www.myspace.com/davidnolanwriter. Here I decided to send Mr. Nolan an email and ask if he knew.
He replied and basically said that the singer is a jazz singer of some note but he could not remember her name. He stated that her name should be in the credits (it isn't in the version I have). He mentioned that the cover version is a discarded track from a never completed Grant Showbiz project of unusual Smiths covers. He also says that the documentary is the only place one would be able to find the track as it was never released, and he claimed it was recovered from the dustbin to use on the documentary. Such a wonderful interpretation almost thrown away.
Anyone know of any Jazz singers in the Smiths-Grant Showbiz orbit that might be the singer in question?
I have followed up with Mr. Nolan and will add any additional info I find out.
[Profile] [PM]

DavidA

Post 12-Dec-2006 22:36 (after 3 days)

[Quote]

Nice detective work. When I worry that I obsess about these things then it's good to find others that do.
I guess now that you've gone this far you could ping Grant Showbiz and ask. He'd probably be impressed that you've dug this far already. His band has a website which you could try.
[Profile] [PM]

ownZero ®

Post 13-Dec-2006 00:18 (after 1 hour 41 minute)

[Quote]

Nice detective work. When I worry that I obsess about these things then it's good to find others that do.
I guess now that you've gone this far you could ping Grant Showbiz and ask. He'd probably be impressed that you've dug this far already. His band has a website which you could try.
Thanks, David.
I was thinking about trying to contact Grant Showbiz next but was unsure where to start looking for him. It will have to wait for another day when I can devote my full attention to it but it would be great if the full track could come to light. I thought about asking David Nolan if he might have the full track somewhere but didn't want to pester him since he was nice enough to respond.
I have made an mp3 of the intro if anyone would like it.
http://home.att.net/~pilottown/TIALTNGO_grenada_clip.mp3
[Profile] [PM]

hipsterdisco

Longevity: 6 years 8 months

Post 21-Apr-2014 08:40 (after 7 years 4 months)

[Quote]

The singer is Hope Augustus
She was/is Working at the ASDA Superstore in Charlton, London
Hope Augustus live at PJ's, Covent Garden, 2010 HERE http://vimeo.com/17340548 :?:
[Profile] [PM]

the Flea

Post 21-Apr-2014 09:07 (after 26 minutes)

[Quote]

There you go not even 71/2 years to get that answer, we are so on the ball here lol
Excellent work Hipster, are you certain that is the young lady in question ?
[Profile] [PM]

hipsterdisco

Longevity: 6 years 8 months

Post 21-Apr-2014 10:04 (after 57 minutes)

[Quote]

Im 99% sure,
I haven't stalked her at Asda & asked, But i have done quite a bit of digging & she is in the films closing credits.
[Profile] [PM]
Display posts:    
Reply to topic

Current time is: 17-Oct 08:07