1985-03-11 Ipswich Gaumont

Go to page :  1, 2  Next

Reply to topic

steve ®

Longevity: 11 years

Post 29-Dec-2006 19:09

[Quote]

**************************************************************************************
Gaumont, Ipswich - 11 March 1985
William It Was Really Nothing
Nowhere Fast
I Want The One I Can't Have
What She Said
How Soon Is Now?
Stretch Out And Wait
Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now
That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore
Handsome Devil
The Headmaster Ritual
Shakespeare's Sister
Rusholme Ruffians
Hand In Glove
Still Ill
Meat Is Murder
/Barbarism Begins At Home
/Miserable Lie
And so on to Ipswich. The day before we'd been half way ... to Southend, but the show had been cancelled. Southend Pavillion is built on a slope, down to the sea ... and looks like its on stilts. We heard that they were afraid it would fall down, and there was talk of cancelling the show. We spent most of the afternoon there, and it soon became apparent that we weren't going to see the Smiths that day. So another afternoon at another seaside town in March, and then home.
I remember Ipswich as being pretty non-descript, and not very alive. There was a long straight, exposed dual-carrigeway most of the way, and then at the end, was this grey half asleep little town. After the disappointment yesterday, we didn't get there there very early ... just with enough time to park the van, find the theatre, and search out somewhere to get something to eat (which was very difficult for vegetarians)
The Gaumont was an old cinema type theatre, all seated, with bossy ladies in uniform to keep you in your seats. So not the best for those of us on the guest list. They hussled us up to the circle, and made us stand right at the back. There was a ailse running right across the back, with a wooden partition at the back of the rearmost seats, which went right to the ceiling, but had a section cut out at eye level right along so you could see the stage (just about). The sound wasn't great at the back, and it wasn't ideal for recording as people would periodically shuffle past you throughout the show. I remember this is a very average recording ... although today it sounds better than I remember.
This was the first of our recordings that I saw on an 'official' bootleg. No CD boots them of course, just LPs ... and much harder to come across. The Ipswich one was called 'Music Is Magnificent' and credited Soundsville International on the cover ... although we hadn't a clue who had actually produced it ... so it must have been made from some cassette copy, probably bought from our stall. If they'd bothered to ask, we would have been happy to provide the master cassette, and probably recommended a better recording.
Again this was recorded using my Sony Professional Walkman with Sony EMC-929LT Mic onto Metal tape.
[Profile] [PM]

the Flea

Post 29-Dec-2006 19:26 (after 16 minutes)

[Quote]

Very nice, thanks Steve :)
[Profile] [PM]

DavidA

Post 29-Dec-2006 19:48 (after 22 minutes)

[Quote]

[the LP bootleg] must have been made from some cassette copy, probably bought from our stall. If they'd bothered to ask, we would have been happy to provide the master cassette, and probably recommended a better recording.
That's funny. I would have thought most bootleggers would be annoyed to see people making money from their recordings.
I always wondered how LP and CD bootlegs came about.
[Profile] [PM]

arkil

Post 29-Dec-2006 20:11 (after 22 minutes)

[Quote]

thank you Steve :)
[Profile] [PM]

bclark93

Post 29-Dec-2006 20:21 (after 9 minutes)

[Quote]

Thank you again for a wonderful week Steve!
[Profile] [PM]

fki

Post 29-Dec-2006 20:37 (after 15 minutes)

[Quote]

I'm looking forward to listen to this one too. Thanks a bunch, Steve!
[Profile] [PM]

dlgladwin

Post 29-Dec-2006 22:23 (after 1 hour 45 minutes)

[Quote]

Great stuff, Steve! Please keep them coming!
[Profile] [PM]

monsterH

Post 30-Dec-2006 00:27 (after 2 hours 4 minutes)

[Quote]

Steve - Thanks much for this posting, especially after last week's debate in the Morrissey forum. I would've been disappointed if you stopped posting concerts, but would have understood. Thanks again - it is really appreciated...! :D
[Profile] [PM]

cut_here

Post 30-Dec-2006 02:56 (after 2 hours 29 minutes)

[Quote]

my internet was out all day and I was dying to see what you'd posted and read the story along with it. I'm not disappointed (I never am)! Thanks again!!
[Profile] [PM]

Angelic

Longevity: 10 years

Post 30-Dec-2006 04:36 (after 1 hour 39 minutes)

[Quote]

Thanks steve!

Last edited by Angelic on 2007-02-03 10:33; edited 1 time in total
[Profile] [PM]

steve ®

Post 30-Dec-2006 09:42 (after 5 hours)

[Quote]

David,
these days people obsess about making money off bootlegs and how eveil it is. In the early 80s bootlegs were very difficult to get hold of. Camden & portobello markets were the first places in the UK were you could get them in any quantity. Today you can find almost anything you want in seconds ... but finding anything in those days was quite exciting. You had no quams about paying for a bootleg ... or from selling them. Most of the people doing bootlegs in the early days of Camden were into it for the music. We made enough money to live and finance going to lots of gigs and recording them. As it got more successful in the mid 80s, the criminal element started coming in, people were 'asked' to leave, pitches taken over. This inevitably attracted the attention of the record companies and in 87 they made a concerted effort to close everyone down. Of course, being the British police, they picked the one weekend where the main guy they were after ... a guy called 'Big Al' (I kid you not), was in Holland recording a Bruce Springsteen concert! Anyway ... bootleg LPs were even rarer than cassettes ... it was a bit of a staus symbol to have one of your recodings actually on LP ... so any thought of monetary compensation would have been secondary.
Treelove,
Actually at the time I wasn't. The rest of the crew were, but although I didn't like meat much, I decided I didn't want to follow the crowd (of smiths fans) to suddenly become a vegetarian because Morrissey said so. I didn't eat meat much ... and finally admitted to being one after the Smiths broke up.
[Profile] [PM]

angryelvis

Post 22-Apr-2007 11:12 (after 3 months 23 days)

[Quote]

Could someone please seed? A couple of us are around 30%.
Thanks
[Profile] [PM]

stelvio massi

Post 10-Jul-2007 19:59 (after 2 months 18 days)

[Quote]

Would anyone start to seed this again, please?
[Profile] [PM]

anovella

Post 10-Jul-2007 21:11 (after 1 hour 11 minutes)

[Quote]

Please Seed, Thanks
[Profile] [PM]

Smelly French Boy

Longevity: 10 years

Post 16-Jul-2007 10:51 (after 5 days)

[Quote]

Thanks so much
[Profile] [PM]
Display posts:    
Reply to topic

Current time is: 17-Aug 06:05