How I configure my utorrent

Go to page :  1, 2  Next

Reply to topic

DavidA ®

Longevity: 11 years

Post 11-Jan-2007 01:34

[Quote]

I've seen a few people ask for seeds lately. Given that so many people have downloaded these torrents it seems crazy that we should be struggling for seeds.
If you set up a good client such as utorrent then it's quite easy to set it up so that it works for you. Things that I did that make things a little easier are:
  • Rename the torrents in utorrent to something that will sort into date order. You can click once on a highlighted torrent to rename it. Once you've renamed it, it's easy to find again.
  • Set your max upload speed to be about 75% of what your total upload speed is. That way you avoid system slowdown.
  • Set utorrent so that it only operates off-peak. I, like others, get penalised if I use a lot of bandwidth in peak hours so I just set utorrent to run overnight.
  • Set a label. I have a smiths label which lets me easily pause all the smiths torrents if I need to use my bandwidth for something else. I just unpause it some time after I'm done.[/list:u]The nice thing about it is that from then on in, utorrent takes care of things. It'll put people into a queue if you're already at capacity when someone requests something. Most importantly, you're giving back after you've downloaded.
    This is what my utorrent looks like. I might only have 60Kbps upload speed, but I try and make the most of it.
[Profile] [PM]

ezears

Post 11-Jan-2007 16:44 (after 15 hours)

[Quote]

Wow.
I don't think utorrent works with Mac. I use Bittorrent and to be honest, I haven't taken the time to use it in an efficient manner. I'm not even sure what I'm capable of doing with that program. So I seed when I download something, but I've lost some torrents when I've attempted to rename them. Something always seems to happen when I try to seed something. You've motivated me to look into my torrent program and see if I can fine tune it better.
Thanks for this post, David, your tips are very helpful.
Hm, and now to closely inspect that partial listing of yours! :)
[Profile] [PM]

akiraware

Post 14-Jan-2007 01:05 (after 2 days 8 hours)

[Quote]

Hi David,
My connection is 256k down and 128k up wich is the safe upload I can put in my utorrent settings?
Regards,
Akira
[Profile] [PM]

DavidA ®

Post 21-Jan-2007 21:11 (after 7 days)

[Quote]

Akira, that's a slow connection for ADSL!
I'd suggest 20K/s download, 10K/s upload.
[Profile] [PM]

cgrooby

Longevity: 9 years

Post 14-Nov-2007 23:25 (after 9 months 24 days)

[Quote]

DavidA
How do I download a file? What do I do with the .torrent file?
thank you.
[Profile] [PM]

berlinsgonewhere

Longevity: 8 years 5 months

Post 19-May-2009 14:40 (after 1 year 6 months)

[Quote]

Does this work with a mac? I'm having issue after issue trying to download and things don't work. I'm trying to get the new Smiths performance from November and February, I think it was. I downloaded, but it took all of two seconds and now it wont open properly. HELP ME PLEASE!
Thanks
[Profile] [PM]

XAVeRY

Longevity: 9 years 4 months

Post 19-May-2009 16:22 (after 1 hour 42 minutes)

[Quote]

What kind of BitTorrent client are you using? As far as I know, there's uTorrent for Mac available (so that this guide should suffice), but a lot of other clients as well.
[Profile] [PM]

berlinsgonewhere

Post 19-May-2009 18:43 (after 2 hours 20 minutes)

[Quote]

I was using Opera? I'm trying uTorrent now, thanks so much. I too new at all of this, it's all over my head!!
You'll hear me whining later if it wont work for me, but so far so good!!
Eternally Grateful
-Keight
[Profile] [PM]

berlinsgonewhere

Post 20-May-2009 00:49 (after 6 hours)

[Quote]

Okay, so heres the thing; once it's been downloaded, I open the file and it comes up as little pages and says there is no application to open them up. What should I use to actually watch it?
One step at a time... I'll get to watch that performance!!
Thanks,
Keight
[Profile] [PM]

the Flea

Post 20-May-2009 06:13 (after 5 hours)

[Quote]

Those files you're trying to watch may be ISO's or VOB's
ISO's need to be either burned to DVD-R or extracted via an ISO program like UltraISO
VOB's need to be burned to DVD-R or played via a video player like KMPlayer.
The VOB's (along with the IFO and BUP files) must be inside a folder called VIDEO_TS when burned to DVD-R)
[Profile] [PM]

sissi

Longevity: 7 years 8 months

Post 30-Jan-2010 11:14 (after 8 months 10 days)

[Quote]

probably i made something wrong with torrent cos a few people download from me... any suggestion?
[Profile] [PM]

kevoftipton

Longevity: 6 years 3 months

Post 23-Jun-2011 10:35 (after 1 year 4 months)

[Quote]

Hi i've downloaded from this site recently using bittorrent but nobody is getting the torrents from me, consequently whilst i'm sharing and willing to do so my ratio is going to be abysmal, can you help
[Profile] [PM]

SweetFA

Post 23-Jun-2011 11:26 (after 50 minutes)

[Quote]

Hi i've downloaded from this site recently using bittorrent but nobody is getting the torrents from me, consequently whilst i'm sharing and willing to do so my ratio is going to be abysmal, can you help
Don't worry about it, unless you start getting blocked from downloading due to it, i doubt it'll kick in at the amount you've downloaded.
If that happens send a PM to either DavidA or TheFlea.
[Profile] [PM]

the Flea

Post 23-Jun-2011 11:43 (after 17 minutes)

[Quote]

Its as SFA states, there's no need to panic. Most of us long time members have everything the site has to offer.Its only the newbies that leech and they have a hard enough time getting their ratios up to 1 because theres nobody to share with. The best way to get your ratio up is to tell all your friends who happen to be The Smiths fans to join and they can then leech from you. Of course their ratios will then be bad untill they tell their friends who happen to be The Smiths fans.....and the cycle continues ;-)
[Profile] [PM]

SweetFA

Post 23-Jun-2011 13:31 (after 1 hour 47 minutes)

[Quote]

Its as SFA states, there's no need to panic. Most of us long time members have everything the site has to offer.Its only the newbies that leech and they have a hard enough time getting their ratios up to 1 because theres nobody to share with. The best way to get your ratio up is to tell all your friends who happen to be The Smiths fans to join and they can then leech from you. Of course their ratios will then be bad untill they tell their friends who happen to be The Smiths fans.....and the cycle continues ;-)
Never saw Smithstorrents as a pyramid seeding scheme before :lol:
[Profile] [PM]
Display posts:    
Reply to topic

Current time is: 25-Sep 20:35