1985-03-23 Middlesborough Town Hall

Go to page :  1, 2  Next

Reply to topic

steve ®

Longevity: 11 years

Post 26-Jan-2007 19:09

[Quote]

**************************************************************************************
Town Hall, Middlesbrough - 23 March 1985
William It Was Really Nothing
Nowhere Fast
I Want The One I Can't Have
What She Said
Hand In Glove
How Soon Is Now?
Stretch Out And Wait
That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore
Shakespeare's Sister
Rusholme Ruffians
The Headmaster Ritual
Still Ill
Meat Is Murder
/Miserable Lie
//Barbarism Begins At Home
//You've Got Everything Now
Another of Paul's recordings, done while I was doing our stall in Camden. Our biggest seller that summer was Bruce Springsteen, who was out on his Born in the USA tour, and was particularly popular with the American tourists. The great thing about Spingsteen was that his shows go on for ever, so each show was 2 or 3 tapes long ... which added up nicely ... and helped to finance our Smiths trips. In fact Springsteen bootlegs were so popular we decided to go to Europe to record one of his shows. We booked ourselves on one of those coach trips to catch a show abroad ... this one to see a show in Rotterdam. It was actually not as bad as it sounds. Coach from London down to Dover, Ferry across the channel, and then on to the show. We recorded the show alternately ... I started, then as the tape finished the side, he'd take over. Great system, which meant that neither of us had to record for more than 45 minutes at a time. On the way down we'd spoken to the driver, and explained that we had a few boxes of Springsteen bootlegs which we'd like to sell. So after the show he started playing then over the coach HiFi and told everyone they could buy stuff in the back. We gave him a small cut, and offloaded quite a few ... certainly enough to fund the trip, with a bit over for shopping in Amsterdam the next day. Part of the trip was an overnight stay after the show, and a day free in Amsterdam. We decide to visit a few record shops to see what Smiths stuff we could pick up. We bought as many European pressings as we could. So Springsteen has even helped to build up my Smiths vinyl collection.
Talking of which, I've finally got round to listing up all my Smiths stuff... primarily for insurance purposes. But how do you get realistic prices on things like this? I would guess the prices you see on some of the internet shops like eil are likely to be a bit high. Also I have quite a few signed items ... mainly Morrissey. I was always too embarrassed to ask Johnny as I felt we should have serious conversations about music ... but Morrissey was too intimidating to talk to, so it seemed quite natural to act like a fawning fan and ask him to sign things. Anyway ... anyone know of any good sources to price Smiths stuff. I'm not looking to sell anything ... its just for insurance really.
Recorded by Paul using Sony Professional Walkman onto Metal tape ... not sure of the Mic.
[Profile] [PM]

batnaMMV

Post 26-Jan-2007 19:41 (after 31 minute)

[Quote]

Going to a Bruce Springsteen show sounds pretty bad, but if he kept your stall going I suppose that's not so bad! Thanks as always for your uploads here :D
[Profile] [PM]

cut_here

Post 26-Jan-2007 20:11 (after 30 minutes)

[Quote]

Thanks for this.
Funny, I just went through pricing my smiths vinyl for insurance too. The thing with EIL and the like is you don't know if they're actually selling the for that price so I just kept my eye on ebay for a few months and took note of what auctions of the stuff I had went for (less than I'd imagined) and that at least gave me a ballpark figure to give the insurance company.
Autographed stuff is probably a little different since you're probably going to value it more than a buyer (From your stories, you probably have proof that Moz actually signed them so they could go more than random Moz autographs on there). As far as other memorabilia, that's pretty tough to put a price on, you might want to contact a professional music memorabilia dealer for advice, depending on what you have.
[Profile] [PM]

fki

Post 26-Jan-2007 20:24 (after 12 minutes)

[Quote]

Thank you, Steve!
[Profile] [PM]

strangeways

Post 26-Jan-2007 20:26 (after 1 minute)

[Quote]

thanks steve for another great friday
[Profile] [PM]

Angelic

Post 26-Jan-2007 21:39 (after 1 hour 12 minutes)

[Quote]

thanks steve!
[Profile] [PM]

dlgladwin

Post 26-Jan-2007 22:38 (after 59 minutes)

[Quote]

Steve, you're making me happier every week! Thank you.
[Profile] [PM]

clarkondrums

Post 27-Jan-2007 02:17 (after 3 hours)

[Quote]

Thanks again for another show Steve!
Cheers,
Clark
[Profile] [PM]

monsterH

Post 27-Jan-2007 05:27 (after 3 hours)

[Quote]

Springsteen and the Smiths - quite the odd couple, no?
Interesting juxtaposition, as I do remember seeing Springsteen everywhere on MTV, etc. This was the same time WLIR in New York had the Smiths in heavy rotation on the radio.
Thanks for the memories and the concert Steve.
...and thanks to Paul as well - BTW, just curious - are you and Paul still in touch? Just asking as I've lost touch with many high school/college friends from back then...
[Profile] [PM]

steve ®

Post 27-Jan-2007 08:46 (after 3 hours)

[Quote]

on the market stall we had a bit of everything. If there was a demand for something we'd try and get it ... and Springsteen was the big thing that summer. I never really got in to Spingsteen. The Rotterdam concert was interesting to see what all the fuss was about ... but for me it just went on and on. I also went to the July 4th concert at Wembley stadium (some special date apparently :) ), but I hated it and left after 2 songs ... I was sure someone else would be recording it.
A couple of years previously, the big thing was Bowie's Serious Moonlight tour, which was a lot more exciting as I was a big Bowie fan. Although in hindsight you can see that tour as the beginning of the end, at the time you were in denial.
I recently got back in touch with Paul. We lost touch in the 90s, but he e-mailed me a few years ago having seen a post I made on Morrissey-solo. He's living in Australia now.
Thanks for the info on valuation. I have been watching e-bay, but not that much seems to come up. Never thought about having proof that things were really signed. How is that possible? Do you have to have a picture of the signing or something? Must say ... looking at some of the more recent signed items, they look so different from mine ... it must be hard to pick out the fakes. In 84-86 all the signed things I saw, the signiture looked vaugely the same. Best thing I got him to sign was one of our bootleg cassette covers in camden.
[Profile] [PM]

bclark93

Post 27-Jan-2007 15:28 (after 6 hours)

[Quote]

thank you for another excellent post steve!
[Profile] [PM]

WaxlyMolding

Post 27-Jan-2007 18:40 (after 3 hours)

[Quote]

Thanks as always, Steve!
[Profile] [PM]

DavidA

Post 29-Jan-2007 21:24 (after 2 days 2 hours)

[Quote]

Thanks Steve. Great to see.
Regarding authentication for your autographed copies, while I have no experience I would think the posts you've made on this board would assure most potential customers that the autograph was authentic. Aside from a photograph of the autograph being written (unlikely) I can't think of anything that would give me greater confidence. Wikipedia might help.
Morrissey Madness carries quite a few signed items.
[Profile] [PM]

Smelly French Boy

Longevity: 10 years

Post 24-Jul-2007 15:15 (after 5 months 25 days)

[Quote]

Merci beaucoup
[Profile] [PM]

anovella

Post 25-Jul-2007 17:31 (after 1 day 2 hours)

[Quote]

Muchas Gracias.
[Profile] [PM]
Display posts:    
Reply to topic

Current time is: 18-Nov 23:10